Thread: Atypical behavior......

Default Atypical behavior......

Hey all....hope you're safe! So my guy literally overnight has become strange acting. First off, he has never shed...until now! The amount of shedding over night is unreal. Second, he is really aggressive. Not biting hard....but very bitey and running like a coo-coo....even on my face which is both unwelcome and new. He also is all of a sudden dismantling things in his cage...eating through perches, etc. Finally, his diet changed. He LOVED his Henry blocks, now won't touch them even with peanut butter on them. Is this how they behave normally this time of year? Got really hot out, and all of this ever since. I should also mentioned we just recently started feeding him lots of greens....dandelion greens, butterhead lettuce, etc. Also, the Henry's block took long to get here this time. Which meant it was in a hot transit truck for a week. I asked them if it maybe spoiled and they say no. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!!

Default Re: Atypical behavior......

First of all how old is your baby. ?

Did you call Lee at henerys healthy pets amd ask what day they were mailed out or look at postage mark?. In the hot months I order on sunday night so they are mailed out on monday amd now chance even by regular mailing have they ever taken 7 days.

At the bottom of the package it say must be kept frozen. So as soon as u git them did u freeze them.

I dont think it's the henerys blocks causeingvthe cage in behavior. I mea.tioned it cause they cam get moldy as they have a lot of moisture and nuts.

Since I dont know where u live amd when your summer started I can only give my past exams of heat in sc. Pnut would shed starting around june.

At a certian age the males hormones come I and the running everywhere even on your face is too be expected. They are naturally hyper animals as they are wild animals.

They chewing through things like perches is or can be 2 things. 1) teeth have to be based down all the time or they get dental issues. PROVIDE SAFE TREE BRANCHES OFF THE HENERYS HEALTHY DIET LIST FOUND ON THE SQUIRRIEL BOARD OR HENERYS HEALTHY DIET WEBSITE. I GAVE PNUT FRESH BRANCHES 3 TIMES A WEEK AS THEY ALSO USE THE NUTRIENTS IN THE CABERMAIUM LAYER OF THE BRANCH

2) reson is sheer boredom I have heard of squirrels that are not intellectually stimulated, given things to do, or kept in. Cages chewing their tail, arms, legs, or feet. Back flipping in a cage is a sighn of boredom . U will also see packing.

I hope this helped

Sincerely
    Mary r.

Default Re: Atypical behavior......

Thanks for this info! Three families have had our guy now....so not sure how old he is. But we guess around a year. I did contact Henry's, and due to a mailing mix up....the goods were in hot mail for near two weeks. He said still Ok as long as not funky looking or smelling, but who knows....mold can be invisible sometimes. So we got him a new bag after he turned his nose on ONE piece from the bad bag....and he built an aversion to the product after ONE bad experience with it. Unreal. And he LOVED the stuff! Yes...I always freeze them though. Your ordering on Sunday idea is a good one! I'm in Chicago, so very hot here...and yes....he started shedding mid to end of June, too. He is a male, and we get that he's wild....but to get this aggressive literally overnight.....their hormones hit that hard that fast? I did notice his testicles, which were huge, grew hair and got smaller. Considered neutering, but was advised against these guys being operated on. We had branches in there, but he never touched them. Started having dental issues, but got it under control thanks to us getting him some antlers. Sometimes he loves them, then he doesn't touch them for a week....weird. Do you get your branches online? He does some back flipping and packing, but is really very stimulated. TONS of attention and out time, and again, the aggressiveness is literally overnight.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy2019 View Post
    First of all how old is your baby. ?

Did you call Lee at henerys healthy pets amd ask what day they were mailed out or look at postage mark?. In the hot months I order on sunday night so they are mailed out on monday amd now chance even by regular mailing have they ever taken 7 days.

At the bottom of the package it say must be kept frozen. So as soon as u git them did u freeze them.

I dont think it's the henerys blocks causeingvthe cage in behavior. I mea.tioned it cause they cam get moldy as they have a lot of moisture and nuts.

Since I dont know where u live amd when your summer started I can only give my past exams of heat in sc. Pnut would shed starting around june.

At a certian age the males hormones come I and the running everywhere even on your face is too be expected. They are naturally hyper animals as they are wild animals.

They chewing through things like perches is or can be 2 things. 1) teeth have to be based down all the time or they get dental issues. PROVIDE SAFE TREE BRANCHES OFF THE HENERYS HEALTHY DIET LIST FOUND ON THE SQUIRRIEL BOARD OR HENERYS HEALTHY DIET WEBSITE. I GAVE PNUT FRESH BRANCHES 3 TIMES A WEEK AS THEY ALSO USE THE NUTRIENTS IN THE CABERMAIUM LAYER OF THE BRANCH

2) reson is sheer boredom I have heard of squirrels that are not intellectually stimulated, given things to do, or kept in. Cages chewing their tail, arms, legs, or feet. Back flipping in a cage is a sighn of boredom . U will also see packing.

I hope this helped

Sincerely
    Mary r.