Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with saving my little buddy. MBD, parasite, both or more?

Question Need some help with saving my little buddy. MBD, parasite, both or more?

Idgit is my eastern gray squirrel, and my best friend in the world and might be displaying some signs of MBD lack of appetite lethargy some problems with his back legs problems but also some signs of a parasite, he became almost nonresponsive 4 days ago but since then has been slowly coming back around to himself (he tried stealing a caramel out of my mouth lol) and started to be more active again yesterday and so far today, but he is still not eating very well and while the calcium seems to be helping him not get worse, as he is moving around a little more but still is SUPER picky about eating and has some sensitive areas he grunts at me for when I pick him up but he lets me massage them so I hope that helps him get some relief, he has lost a little weight but that seems to have stabilized for now, but his poop has this awful smell, its not diarrhea but its grey to a very light green and has that typical sewage smell. I was told to come here when a vet is not an option in your area. Please help me save my best friend. I have ordered some probiotic and the picky squirrel blocks from Henry's Nuts to replace his crap food.

Default Re: Need some help with saving my little buddy. MBD, parasite, both or more?

Starting him the MBD protocol (calcium) and getting him on a good diet grounded with high quality rodent blocks like Henrys or Teklad and supplemented with fresh green veggies is essential. Cut back on all nut treats now, he must recover before he can have the occasional treat.

Your description of his poop as greenish and foul smelling is what if often seen in coccidia. If you have pets like dogs/cats, he might have gotten this from them? You will need an AB to treat coccidia, albon is commonly used for this. With coccidia, the poop will be runny and smell terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodalorian View Post
    Idgit is my eastern gray squirrel, and my best friend in the world and might be displaying some signs of MBD lack of appetite lethargy some problems with his back legs problems but also some signs of a parasite, he became almost nonresponsive 4 days ago but since then has been slowly coming back around to himself (he tried stealing a caramel out of my mouth lol) and started to be more active again yesterday and so far today, but he is still not eating very well and while the calcium seems to be helping him not get worse, as he is moving around a little more but still is SUPER picky about eating and has some sensitive areas he grunts at me for when I pick him up but he lets me massage them so I hope that helps him get some relief, he has lost a little weight but that seems to have stabilized for now, but his poop has this awful smell, its not diarrhea but its grey to a very light green and has that typical sewage smell. I was told to come here when a vet is not an option in your area. Please help me save my best friend. I have ordered some probiotic and the picky squirrel blocks from Henry's Nuts to replace his crap food.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Yodalorian (07-01-2020)

Default Re: Need some help with saving my little buddy. MBD, parasite, both or more?

Forgot to add he is 10 years old and had mom's milk before something happened that seperated them, leading to Idgit wondering across the road just covered in fur and with his eyes still shut and they stayed shut for about 5 days after I first found him and has been hand raised since.

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Starting him the MBD protocol (calcium) and getting him on a good diet grounded with high quality rodent blocks like Henrys or Teklad and supplemented with fresh green veggies is essential. Cut back on all nut treats now, he must recover before he can have the occasional treat.

Your description of his poop as greenish and foul smelling is what if often seen in coccidia. If you have pets like dogs/cats, he might have gotten this from them? You will need an AB to treat coccidia, albon is commonly used for this. With coccidia, the poop will be runny and smell terrible.
    Thank you so much! Is Albon something I will need a prescription for? What is the dosage for a squirrel? He is refusing to eat any rodent block but I am hoping the picky blocks will be here tomorrow.

Also, no vet will see him anywhere near me, I looked up the treatment but I have no way to do a stool sample. Any recommendations? Thank you so much again!

You will need a prescription. You can try 1-800-pet-meds and see if you can order it without a script. You can order it by the individual tablet at this site. If you order some (get 3-4 tablets) let us know and we can help with exact dosing directions. But please continue with the calcium and rodent block as well, this is essential especially for an elderly guy like your squirrel. If he gets diarrhea, watch out for dehydration, try to keep him well hydrated.

Thank you so much! Is Albon something I will need a prescription for? What is the dosage for a squirrel? He is refusing to eat any rodent block but I am hoping the picky blocks will be here tomorrow.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Yodalorian (07-01-2020)

Do you have dogs or cats or other animals or is he outside at all? Coccidia doesn't just appear spontaneously in an older squirrel like this.

Baycox - torturazil - is very good for coccidia if the answer to the above is yes. Looks like this place: https://www.allthingsbunnies.com/Tol...s-p/med132.htm has it mixed up for bunnies which would be good for a squirrel. Note that they are also in Colorado so you may be able to get it quickly.

What does he eat? What was he eating before the problems started?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Yodalorian (07-01-2020)

Baycox or albon will work although I am not sure he has coccidia even those his symptoms are consistent with it.

-Grateful Dead

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Yodalorian (07-01-2020)

Albon 5% without needing Rx to purchase:
    https://store.beautifuldragons.com/A..._19468816.aspx
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Yodalorian (07-01-2020)

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

I didn’t see the MBD protocol posted on your thread and wanted to add it so that it is readily available.
    If the diet has been primarily nuts and seeds, you should start the MBD treatment. Hind end paralysis and seizures are classic symptoms. You didn’t mention seizures but just wanted you aware of the potential. With MBD they are very fragile. The bones are thin so don’t let him fall.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

stepnstone (07-01-2020), Yodalorian (07-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

I didn’t see the MBD protocol posted on your thread and wanted to add it so that it is readily available.
    If the diet has been primarily nuts and seeds, you should start the MBD treatment. Hind end paralysis and seizures are classic symptoms. You didn’t mention seizures but just wanted you aware of the potential. With MBD they are very fragile. The bones are thin so don’t let him fall.
    I have padded his cage down and and extremely careful, he isn't having seizures, but he has kinda responded to the calcium, he was almost totally unresponsive for almost 2 days but now wants to explore and even tried stealing a caramel out of my mouth this morning the buttmunch lol I also ordered the picky blocks from henrys nuts. Thank you for posting that! I never knew the squirrel community was this friendly and open... I wish I had reached out like this years ago.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Yodalorian:

island rehabber (07-02-2020), RockyPops (07-01-2020)

You have some really experienced members in this thread helping. I think the most important thing is continue the MBD protocol and get him on a good diet. The smelly diarrhea could be coccidia and so you may want to try treatment (since vet visit can't happen there) but it would be great to get him as strong as possible when starting the AB.

-Grateful Dead

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

RockyPops (07-01-2020), Yodalorian (07-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Albon 5% without needing Rx to purchase:
    https://store.beautifuldragons.com/A..._19468816.aspx
    Thank you so much, I am actually gonna try https://www.allthingsbunnies.com/Tol...m?1=1&CartID=1 since it seems safer.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Yodalorian from:

RockyPops (07-01-2020)

You have some really experienced members in this thread helping. I think the most important thing is continue the MBD protocol and get him on a good diet. The smelly diarrhea could be coccidia and so you may want to try treatment (since vet visit can't happen there) but it would be great to get him as strong as possible when starting the AB.
    I am concerned simply because he will not touch the Oxford rodent block I got and I am waiting for the Henry's Blocks in the mail, they should be here tomorrow, is there anything I can do to encourage eating?

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Yodalorian from:

RockyPops (07-01-2020)

I am concerned simply because he will not touch the Oxford rodent block I got and I am waiting for the Henry's Blocks in the mail, they should be here tomorrow, is there anything I can do to encourage eating?
    Be sure to put the Henrys Picky Eater block in the freezer when it arrives. They have no preservatives so they will mold. Keep out a dozen blocks in a ziploc baggie in the refrigerator.
    I have found that microwaving the block 7-8 seconds is helpful. You don’t want it hot... just warm. This will release the smell of the nut oils and make them more desirable. The block is packed with vitamins and minerals. It also has pecans to make it desirable. I’m hopeful he will like the block.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

RockyPops (07-01-2020), Yodalorian (07-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Be sure to put the Henrys Picky Eater block in the freezer when it arrives. They have no preservatives so they will mold. Keep out a dozen blocks in a ziploc baggie in the refrigerator.
    I have found that microwaving the block 7-8 seconds is helpful. You don’t want it hot... just warm. This will release the smell of the nut oils and make them more desirable. The block is packed with vitamins and minerals. It also has pecans to make it desirable. I’m hopeful he will like the block.
    Thank you for that tip! I have been up all night worrying about what if he doesn't eat it, how long do you think a bag will last?2-3 blocks per day and he has to eat all of it. I want to make sure I don't miscalculate the time to buy it, but then alos avoid buyin it sooner than needed and it somehow going bad or whatever, also after 🤞he eats the picky blocks should I try the other varieties or just stick with this for a while till he is stabilized 100% I have also ordered some of the probiotic from Henry's the bene something lol it was an interesting name, I also have ordered https://www.allthingsbunnies.com/Tol...m?1=1&CartID=1 since it seems like its safer and not as long of a treatment so that hopefully that much less stress.

Update for the morning of July 1, he had a really rough start to the day and I made a small nest from my hoodie so he could sunbathe this morning right on the window screen, he was there for 2 hours then started to move around but his tummy was seemingly bothering him so I just carefully massaged him, and after a while he fell asleep on my lap, after a while I moved him back into his cage and he finally ate a little bit of papaya and several leaves of spinach. No rodent block though, good news is the Henry's Picky Blocks look like they are on the deliver truck from Greeley so it will only be a few hours more. Thank you all for the help and suggestions, I would not have been able to do this by myself so thank you all so so much!

Thank you for that tip! I have been up all night worrying about what if he doesn't eat it, how long do you think a bag will last?2-3 blocks per day and he has to eat all of it. I want to make sure I don't miscalculate the time to buy it, but then alos avoid buyin it sooner than needed and it somehow going bad or whatever, also after 🤞he eats the picky blocks should I try the other varieties or just stick with this for a while till he is stabilized 100% I have also ordered some of the probiotic from Henry's the bene something lol it was an interesting name, I also have ordered https://www.allthingsbunnies.com/Tol...m?1=1&CartID=1 since it seems like its safer and not as long of a treatment so that hopefully that much less stress.
    The Henry’s blocks are considered a supplement so you will limit them. An adult grey squirrel would eat 2 per day. A larger Fox squirrel would get 3 per day. You don’t want to give too many or he will be over supplemented. A bag will last about a month. I think there are about 60 blocks per bag. It is better to buy a couple bags at a time because of the flat rate shipping. They keep well in the freezer.

You can try sugar snap peas, butternut squash, avocado, etc. These are a few favorites.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Yodalorian (07-01-2020)

Part of getting a squirrel that is used to a tasty but not very nutritious diet is tough love. Give a Henrys block in the morning and one for lunch. Don't give ANY treats until he is regularly eating his blocks. You can give as much veggies as you want to. He might hold off starting on the blocks for a day or two but he will start eating them when he gets hungry enough.

-Grateful Dead

32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Mel1959 (07-01-2020), Yodalorian (07-01-2020)

Question Re: Need some help with saving my little buddy. MBD, parasite, both or more?

Well some mixed news, or maybe all good not sure, I got the picky blocks today, he ate the first one, almost all of it at once then snacked on the rest over the next hour but now he is being very lethergic and acting like his tummy is uncomfortable, not pain but sensitive and he likes it when I massage it, but again there is the occasional shift from him, but he doesn't move off for quite a while when I am doing that, he does let me know but he always goes back into his cage and just lays down and sleep. Tough love is something I am gonna have to work on, but as long as this tummy pain isn't something else altogether then maybe he is just really super full. He does have 2 weird mass lumps in him, one is round on the left side, the triangle on the right. Could this be just from a lack of eating the past few days and now his full stomach feels like when we just gorge and regret it the rest of the night? They both seemed to have shrank when he stopped eating and lost weight, I gave him some bene bac probiotic and has had 1 block today.
    Last edited by Yodalorian; 07-01-2020 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Needed to add one last thought, sorry I am a bit brainderped at times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast