Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help with saving my little buddy. MBD, parasite, both or more?

Default Re: Need some help with saving my little buddy. MBD, parasite, both or more?

I’m glad to hear he ate the block. There is no reason the block would cause an issue for him. Maybe he was just full and needed to rest.

One thing that concerns me is his age. At 10 he is an older squirrel. Of course they can live much older but I get concerned about issues related to aging. They are subject to any of the organ failures that can happen to any other mammal, including us. Lumps and masses are concerning.

For now, getting him eating healthy foods, addressing potential MBD and if needed treating for parasites are areas that you can address.

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

RockyPops (07-01-2020), TubeDriver (07-02-2020), Yodalorian (07-01-2020)

Default Re: Need some help with saving my little buddy. MBD, parasite, both or more?

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I’m glad to hear he ate the block. There is no reason the block would cause an issue for him. Maybe he was just full and needed to rest.

One thing that concerns me is his age. At 10 he is an older squirrel. Of course they can live much older but I get concerned about issues related to aging. They are subject to any of the organ failures that can happen to any other mammal, including us. Lumps and masses are concerning.

For now, getting him eating healthy foods, addressing potential MBD and if needed treating for parasites are areas that you can address.
    He has eaten 1 1/2 blocks so far, and nibbled on the last half the second block! When he is active he does look and act a little more like himself. I am gonna feed half a block at a time, maybe spread the feedings throughout the day? Or is all at once preferable?

I spread mine out through the day. Since they have no preservatives they begin to get stale and hard fairly quickly and doling them out this way means they are all nice and fresh and more likely to be eaten.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Yodalorian (07-02-2020)

Has the poop cleared up or is it still green and runny? Not to be picky about poop, but color is important: coccidia is typically a light yellow with toothpaste consistency. GIARDIA, a different parasite, causes grey-green poop that smells like death. If you suspect giardia you can treat with Flagyl, metronizadole, very easily. It may be available over the counter in your area.

You're getting fantastic advice here so I'll just slip right out again -- carry on!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

TubeDriver (07-02-2020), Yodalorian (07-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I spread mine out through the day. Since they have no preservatives they begin to get stale and hard fairly quickly and doling them out this way means they are all nice and fresh and more likely to be eaten.
    I gave him 1 block this morning and he ate it, I think I am gonna break it into more frequent feedings though thank you I was a little unsure of whether I should feed it all in the a.m. when he gets up.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Has the poop cleared up or is it still green and runny? Not to be picky about poop, but color is important: coccidia is typically a light yellow with toothpaste consistency. GIARDIA, a different parasite, causes grey-green poop that smells like death. If you suspect giardia you can treat with Flagyl, metronizadole, very easily. It may be available over the counter in your area.

You're getting fantastic advice here so I'll just slip right out again -- carry on!
    So after two bowel movements of semi solid slightly green turds, they turned grey and id smell really bad, and are now firming up and still smell, though not with the pungency as before. They are also back to the brown turd pellet balls.

That sounds like progress in the right direction. Keep up with the blocks, no treats and calcium supplement.

I would continue to watch the two masses you saw on his stomach. See if they change at all, go away or get bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodalorian View Post
    So after two bowel movements of semi solid slightly green turds, they turned grey and id smell really bad, and are now firming up and still smell, though not with the pungency as before. They are also back to the brown turd pellet balls.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Yodalorian (07-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    That sounds like progress in the right direction. Keep up with the blocks, no treats and calcium supplement.

I would continue to watch the two masses you saw on his stomach. See if they change at all, go away or get bigger.
    I am, I massage him every day cause it seems like he is in discomfort sometimes, but after rubbing the area for a while he will go try to explore, he is still very lethargic and takes super long and deep naps. After just a short time out, or after eating his block.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Do you have dogs or cats or other animals or is he outside at all? Coccidia doesn't just appear spontaneously in an older squirrel like this.

Baycox - torturazil - is very good for coccidia if the answer to the above is yes. Looks like this place: https://www.allthingsbunnies.com/Tol...s-p/med132.htm has it mixed up for bunnies which would be good for a squirrel. Note that they are also in Colorado so you may be able to get it quickly.

What does he eat? What was he eating before the problems started?
    I got the medicine, finally shipping was a joke, how much do I dose him?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12