Thread: I Found an Injured Squirrel with head wounds

Default I Found an Injured Squirrel with head wounds

Hello all from a new member,

I was driving home the other night and I cam upon a squirrel (I think it's a fox squirrel, probably around 1 year old) sitting up as if he was eating in the road by my house, but he wouldn't move. So I got out of my car to see and he was still alive, but had some noticeable wounds on the top of his head, ear, and tail. I had a blanket and a box in the car, so I picked him up and moved him to my yard out of the road. I put a bowl of nuts and water by him as I didn't know what else to do. I hadn't observed him eat anything. On Day two, he was moving around a little, but mostly walking in circles and I still hadn't seen him eat anything. I happen to live in a state where you can't keep any wild animals, so I couldn't do anything for him other than monitor him and no vets or rescues are of any assistance. I had happened to have just bought some unflavored Pedialyte, so I took a dropper and attempted to feed him that way and he did eat some. Day 3, he was walking around even more, mostly in larger circles, but he was running in straight lines as well and even climbed a tree. Continued to drink from a dropper of Pedialyte and water mixture well, more than the day before. But still doesn't seem to be eating anything from the bowl of nuts or veggies. Today, he seems to not be doing well again. Hardly walking, mostly just balling himself up and burying himself in the grass. I tried to feed him some sweet potato mashed up, but he wouldn't eat it. Also not eating any Pedialyte/water.

Since no rehab/rescue will do anything because of state laws and I've probably done more than I should have, is there anything I can really do? Is there anything I can feed him in liquid form that might help? Can I feed him yogurt? What else can I try?

Also, in the process of feeding him, he did bite me, but it was provoked. I'm dumb. I washed it off immediately. I had to go through entire months worth of rabies shots 6 years ago. Should I have any concerns of rabies? He isn't aggressive or foaming at the mouth or anything. I know it's extremely rare in squirrels.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: I Found an Injured Squirrel with head wounds

Has anyone gotten back to you? How is the little guy doing now?

No need to worry about rabies. Just what you did... clean the wound properly, apply a topical ointment like polysporin and keep it clean - maybe cover it with a clean Band-Aid that you change at least daily.

Can you post a picture, to help us evaluate the age of this little one?

You could try to offer him some Ensure. Pecan flavoured or vanilla.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

RockyPops (07-01-2020)

Where are you? Likely not close to VA but if we can find a person or a vet to treat maybe get your little squirrel on the road to recovery.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

RockyPops (07-01-2020), TubeDriver (06-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    Has anyone gotten back to you? How is the little guy doing now?

No need to worry about rabies. Just what you did... clean the wound properly, apply a topical ointment like polysporin and keep it clean - maybe cover it with a clean Band-Aid that you change at least daily.

Can you post a picture, to help us evaluate the age of this little one?

You could try to offer him some Ensure. Pecan flavoured or vanilla.
    I'll get a pic shortly. He's a little more active. Still only eating the Pedialyte/Water mixture. I'll go get some Ensure now and give it a go and grab a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Where are you? Likely not close to VA but if we can find a person or a vet to treat maybe get your little squirrel on the road to recovery.
    Very close to VA as a matter of fact. One state away. What part of VA?

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrellyBird from:

RockyPops (07-01-2020)

Sad update

The little fella ate well via dropper last night, however I found him unresponsive this morning and barely breathing. He closed his eyes and died shortly after. Thanks for the suggestions and I hate I couldn't do more for him.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrellyBird from:

RockyPops (07-01-2020)

Thank you for trying to help him. Sometimes all we can do is give them some food and water and try make them comfortable before they pass over.

Godspeed gentle Foxxer.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

RockyPops (07-01-2020), SquirrellyBird (07-08-2020)