Thread: Fractured leg and won't eat.

Default Fractured leg and won't eat.

Hello and thanks in advance for help. I need recommendations for a (now) wild squirrel who won't eat blocks or veggies while he recovers from a fractue. I tried coating with coconut and avacado oil - which I read in another post. Nuthin'.

Backstory: Last Friday the very first boy I ever released 4.5 years ago showed up limping with a swollen foot/lower leg and wound - like a bite mark. I snagged him up and took him to the vet. He was in pain so he cooperated. Doc said it wasn't broken and gave me antibiotic ointment for the wound. Thought he just needed a week of rest. A week later and not much improvement, so the vet did an x-ray and discovered a small fracture.

He needs calcium more than ever with a fracture. Is there a super high potency calcium liquid I can "force" down while he heals? I coated nuts in calcium power- that only goes so far. I also tried feeding him bably food fruit with calcium and Henry's vitamin/protein powers, but I can't get much down him. It's just too much food to dissolve all that powder and he doesn't like it anyway.

Thanks - appreciate any advice.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tgramsey from:

RockyPops (06-26-2020)

Default Re: Fractured leg and won't eat.

Your vet can give you a liquid calcium supplement. I had one for my dwarf squirrel.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (06-27-2020), RockyPops (06-27-2020), tgramsey (06-27-2020)

Thank you - a prescription, I assume? Do you recall the name?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Your vet can give you a liquid calcium supplement. I had one for my dwarf squirrel.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tgramsey from:

RockyPops (06-27-2020)

Hi Mel, I found this on Amazon. Any chance it's what you used? BTW, I tried to send as a PM and got a note that your mailbox is full - just fyi. Thank you.
    https://www.amazon.com/CALCIUM-1250M...c%2C162&sr=1-4

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post

A closer ratio of Calcium to Magnesium in rat research has been found to increase the absorption of into the bones of rats, than the former noted high ratio of 1995 Laboratory Rat Requirement standard noted 25 years prior. The same closer ratio was also found to reduce calcium loss into the urine from the diet compared to the higher ratio of Calcium to Magnesium, inhibiting the formation of calcium crystals in the kidneys, bladder, joints, and blood vessels of rats with Magnesium citrate form, which can otherwise can have a negative impact on the tissues and organs in rodents.

https://www.amazon.com/Douglas-Labor...290103&sr=8-16

This source of liquid Magnesium citrate (a source that inhibits notes (225 mg.) elemental in 1 Tsp. measure. In 1/8 Tsp. measure this source provides approx. (28 mg.) of elemental calcium.

Save you have a set of measuring spoons that includes a 1/8 measure, this set includes this along with a full set of from ¼ to 1/64 Teaspoons that are nice to have on hand to support using the other measures. It also is one of the few sources that includes the Teaspoon fraction on the handles.

https://www.amazon.com/Morgenhaan-St...293945&sr=8-14

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

tgramsey (06-27-2020)

Just thought to add, that not wanting to eat is from the pain; I would think that the vet could prescribe a prescription for your squirrel to reduce the pain that in a few days likely will regain his appetite.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Chirps (06-27-2020), tgramsey (06-27-2020)

Thank you! How much should I give a 673 gram squirrel per day?

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    A closer ratio of Calcium to Magnesium in rat research has been found to increase the absorption of into the bones of rats, than the former noted high ratio of 1995 Laboratory Rat Requirement standard noted 25 years prior. The same closer ratio was also found to reduce calcium loss into the urine from the diet compared to the higher ratio of Calcium to Magnesium, inhibiting the formation of calcium crystals in the kidneys, bladder, joints, and blood vessels of rats with Magnesium citrate form, which can otherwise can have a negative impact on the tissues and organs in rodents.

https://www.amazon.com/Douglas-Labor...290103&sr=8-16

This source of liquid Magnesium citrate (a source that inhibits notes (225 mg.) elemental in 1 Tsp. measure. In 1/8 Tsp. measure this source provides approx. (28 mg.) of elemental calcium.

Save you have a set of measuring spoons that includes a 1/8 measure, this set includes this along with a full set of from ¼ to 1/64 Teaspoons that are nice to have on hand to support using the other measures. It also is one of the few sources that includes the Teaspoon fraction on the handles.

https://www.amazon.com/Morgenhaan-St...293945&sr=8-14

Thanks. I did give him metacam for a few days. He doesn't seem in pain now. I feel he is just not used to eating veggies and blocks after 4.5 years of freedom. He did eat avocado today, but couldn't get him to budge on the blocks or veggies. Will keep trying b/c he isn't going anywhere until this fracture is healed!

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Just thought to add, that not wanting to eat is from the pain; I would think that the vet could prescribe a prescription for your squirrel to reduce the pain that in a few days likely will regain his appetite.