Thread: Girlie Squirrelie has two uppers that are curved to the roof of her mouth

Default Girlie Squirrelie has two uppers that are curved to the roof of her mouth

Last week, Girlie's front milk teeth came out, so I did not see these teeth.... I was watching those and her lowers and completely missed that these have developed and turned inward and upward. What should I do? Should we trim them and extract the growth that is to the roof ( and in the skin) or should we surgically remove them? Name:  Girlie teeth 2.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  72.6 KBName:  Girlie teeth1.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  80.4 KBName:  Girlie teeth 3.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  64.2 KB

Default Re: Girlie Squirrelie has two uppers that are curved to the roof of her mouth

They need to be trimmed immediately. I would do it in steps - get what is embedded and a bit more off, then a day or two later take some more off and so on until they are closer to normal. Removing the top teeth from a squirrel is a HUGE deal - major surgery, and to be avoided if possible. You are going to have to, at the least, hold her back from release to see if she can maintain them once all of her teeth grow in or not. That is going to take a bit to determine...

Small, side cut (A.K.A. Diagonal cut) electrical snips - look for Klein brand - are your best bet for tooth trimming. Get the smallest ones you can.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (07-14-2020), Jennmjames (06-26-2020), Snicker Bar (06-26-2020), stepnstone (07-01-2020)

Default Re: Girlie Squirrelie has two uppers that are curved to the roof of her mouth

We got the Klein tool and snipped them. They came right out, all the way to the point. She is eating just fine now. Thank you guys for your guidance. This forum is an amazing and wonderful place for all us squirrel lovers.

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennmjames:

Chirps (07-14-2020), McCarthy (03-22-2022), RockyPops (07-01-2020), Scooterzmom (06-30-2020)

Question Re: Girlie Squirrelie has two uppers that are curved to the roof of her mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Jennmjames View Post
    We got the Klein tool and snipped them. They came right out, all the way to the point. She is eating just fine now. Thank you guys for your guidance. This forum is an amazing and wonderful place for all us squirrel lovers.
    Which Klein tool did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by chauklan View Post
    Which Klein tool did you use?
    I'd get these... they are small enough to see where you are cutting and you can cut just one side as well.

https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-64-62-..._bap_m_rp_1_sc

Have you used they for teeth trimming successfully? The look a little wonky for the job to me.

Here are the ones that I have used successfully for years (Klein D275 flush cut). They were recommended by several TSB members which is why I purchased them originally:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Klein+D27...ref=nb_sb_noss

Whatever is used should be sharp, that last thing you want it to crush the teeth.