Thread: Please help!

Default Please help!

I’m new on the site, but have been using the info on here for years. My three and a half year old squirrel presented with milky eye two days ago. I’ve checked her teeth and everything else I can think of. I started antibiotic yesterday. She woke up this morning with no signs. I just checked on her and it’s back even though she seems fine. Eating, drinking fine. Bathroom is good. I’ve been rehabbing squirrels for three years and have never seen milky eye before. Because of the state I live in I can’t go to a vet. I would love for her to have an x-ray and health check. Her teeth look good, but you never know what’s going on where you can’t see. Can anyone out there give me some advice? Or maybe help me find someone to see her? Thank you!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TinksMom from:

RockyPops (06-26-2020)

Default Re: Please help!

Milky tears can mean pain or stress. Can you tell us a little about your girl?
    Did she have head/face trauma when she arrived? What is it that made her nonreleaseable?
    If you tell us your state, we might be able to help find a safe vet.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

frankc (06-29-2020), RockyPops (06-26-2020)

Tink was given to me at 5 weeks old by my neighbor. The neighbor saw her fall from the tree, but the mother squirrel was around so he left the baby alone and just watched for about 4 hours. The mom would never come get her and she was fading fast at that point. She was dehydrated and had fleas. Since we had a small farm and lots of animals he thought I could help. I’ve fostered and raised lots of kittens and puppies but she was my first squirrel. This website and a gentleman rehabber in Ohio helped through the ups and downs of raising a squirrel. There was no choice but release, I firmly believe in wildlife need to be wild. She had several health issues the first year, pneumonia twice and two urinary tract infections. But by the time she was ready for release she was healthy. My longtime vet would supply me with antibiotic, since I needed meds on a regular basis for the farm. But that’s as far as he will go. I have a wildlife certificate that I earned in a 12 week course, but I don’t have a license. There is a difference. But in this state it doesn’t matter. It’s either release or euthanasia. I followed all the rules for soft release, we tried everything. She cried for three solid days, destroyed two window screens, refused to eat and eventually just laid down in front of my door and would not move. I couldn’t take it anymore and I let her back in. She’s been with me ever since. Over the last three and a half years I’ve rescued and released several squirrels and an opossum with no problems what so ever. You can leave the door open and she won’t go near it. She just doesn’t want to brave the great outdoors. I also have a 1 1/2 year old female squirrel that was in a nest with 4 siblings that was attacked by a hawk. One died from its injuries, two released, and “Pixie”, who has birth defects and a malocclusion of the teeth. She absolutely cannot be released, and I feel like she’s happy and as healthy as she can be. But here she would be euthanized on the spot. If I thought for one minute that she was suffering I would make that decision. But just because she was on the bad end of the gene pool shouldn’t automatically mean death. I take full responsibility for her and make sure she’s well taken care of. Tink had a choice but didn’t want it. I don’t think she deserves death either. With that being said, it would be wonderful to find a vet that could help me with both of them. Tink just hasn’t been herself for the last two days, she hasn’t eaten much today, and it’s killing me not knowing what’s wrong. So if there’s a way to get her help I’m all for it. Thanks guys!

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TinksMom:

frankc (06-29-2020), island rehabber (06-27-2020), Mialouise (07-11-2020), RockyPops (06-26-2020)

Sorry, NC

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TinksMom from:

RockyPops (06-26-2020)

There is a vet in Raleigh, NC who safely sees squirrels. Are you near there? I would think an xray of her teeth is in order. Taking a look to see if odontoma are present might be a good idea.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

frankc (06-29-2020), island rehabber (06-27-2020), RockyPops (06-26-2020)

I’m only about an hour and a 1/2 from Raleigh. I would definitely be willing to take her there.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TinksMom from:

RockyPops (06-27-2020)

http://www.avianandexotic.com/the-vets/
    Dr Dan Johnson

Just a heads up. He is VERY expensive but he could definitely do X-rays and provide definitive answers regarding the possibility of odontoma. If odontoma are present we can give you the positives and negatives regarding this surgery. It is a complicated decision.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

frankc (06-29-2020), island rehabber (06-27-2020)

That would be an issue, I don’t have a lot of funds. I’m going to try and see if my vet would consider looking at her. I don’t have high hopes, and she doesn’t seem to be getting any better. She was lively and eating this morning, but now she’s back to being lethargic and “spaced out” if that makes any sense. I’ve never encountered this before, so I’m at a total loss. I just can’t pin down what the problem is. Thank you guys for all your help. I really appreciate it.