Thread: Broken Tail

Default Broken Tail

Hi there - this is my first post and I’m really just seeking some reassurance an advice about a current situation I have going on. I have a wild squirrel that’s been with me for four years. He spends quite a bit of time in my yard and is approximately 4 years old. He’s always been a picture of health.

Except for today. From the base of his tail it’s limp all the way to the tip and he’s dragging it.
    He was a bit slower moving as well. He has a leaf nest at my neighbours place and as of recently only visit’s sporadically (as there’s a territorial female with babies in my yard)

He looked heavy when jumping in the trees today and he took the ground on the way hone as it appeared easier with his tail the way it was.

Is there any hope he will recover? There was no blood or obvious cuts - just a dead tail. Also how could this have happened and have they ever recovered from it?
    I’m quite fond of this squirrel as he was my very first to arrive here - I’d hate to see him suffer ☹️

Default Re: Broken Tail

Well, that doesn't sound good for his tail, but if he had to live without it, he could. Do you have access to a vet who would see a squirrel?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Default Re: Broken Tail

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Well, that doesn't sound good for his tail, but if he had to live without it, he could. Do you have access to a vet who would see a squirrel?
    I could trap him, and have my trap ready on the back deck, as there is a wildlife rehab that would take him - however I’ve been told they might not put too much effort in if it’s a big rehab (cost and time)
    I haven’t seen him at all today and am hopeful he makes a recovery. I think I’d be hard pressed to trap him now that he visits so infrequently.

Such a shame 😔

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirly from:

RockyPops (06-26-2020)