Thread: How to take care of baby squirrels? Please help.

Exclamation How to take care of baby squirrels? Please help.

I found two baby squirrels (Indian Palm Squirrels) 2 days back inside an abandoned room that I don't use much. They seem to be about 4-5 weeks old and their mother is to be seen nowhere. I found from the sites online that squirrels are hard to grow and must be given to wildlife rehabilitation centers soon. I live in a small town in South India and I don't know how to find such rehabilitation centers. Also because of the lock down due to the pandemic, I can't go out too. I wish to take care of the squirrel myself but I'm scared that my taking care of them would harm them. I've been giving them cow's milk little by little using just my fingers and they would drink. I can't find pet stores nearby and I can't buy pet feeding syringes. But the squirrels do not drink much from my fingers. They sleep throughout the day and when I wake them up, they are really active. I guess they are healthy. But I feel that they're not drinking enough milk and may get weak soon. I just need help if anyone knows how to give these squirrels to a wildlife center in India (they should be able to collect them from me) or else please give some help as to how to feed them and keep them safe with me without risking their life.

Default Re: How to take care of baby squirrels? Please help.

Can you get some goats milk? Cows milk is very bad for squirrels. If you can get goats milk you can make a formula using 3 parts goats milk, 1 part heavy cream and 1 part yogurt. Do you have a small paint brush? They might suck the formula off a paint brush dipped in the formula. Are they staying warm? Young squirrels don’t thermoregulate their temperature very well. If they feel cool you can make them a rice buddy by putting some uncooked rice in a bag and heating it in the microwave. Squish it around so there are no hot spots and wrap it in a blanket and then put it under a blanket that they are laying on....allowing them room to move away from it if they don’t want the warmth.

Here is a link to baby squirrel care. https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (06-27-2020), island rehabber (06-23-2020), Nancy in New York (06-26-2020), prya_21 (06-24-2020)

Exclamation Re: How to take care of baby squirrels? Please help.

I cannot find goat milk or any other milk except cow's milk here. I can't go out too much. I've been feeding them with cow's milk only. They don't seem cold to touch and the weather's hot here(about 35degrees) but one of the squirrels looks like he's shivering a little.
    I can't see him shiver but I feel it when I put him on my hands. Please tell me what could be the reasons. I'm really scared😭😭😭😭😭😭 can I give him something else other than cow's milk. Can I give them Ensure or some protein mix? They don't even drink too much. They drink just a few sips at each meal. But they don't seem to look tired. They pee and poop quite well. Please help me.😭

I’ve used Ensure with grown squirrels as an aid in rehabilitating, but never for a baby as a substitute for formula. Do they make any type of powdered puppy formula that is sold in pet stores. If you can find that it would be perfect. If not, you can add a raw egg yolk, some yogurt and some heavy cream to the cows milk to increase the nutrition and fat. In the US you can get goats milk either fresh, powdered or canned concentrate. You don’t have anything like that there? I honestly don’t know how these babies will do with this mixture.

Shivering isn’t normal. Try holding them to raise their body temperature. Even though it’s warm outside that doesn’t take the place of a heat source for them. I told you how to make a rice buddy for them. That will work as a heat source.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

prya_21 (06-26-2020), RockyPops (06-26-2020)

esbilac goat formula NOT PLAIN PUPPY ESBILAC. I HEAR IS OK. SOMEONE.PLEASE CORRECT ME IF SHE CANT USE IT. ADVICE CAME FROM A REHABBER. THATS IF THE GIAT MILK CANT BE FOUND. FOX VALLEY 20/50 NOT FOX VALLEY 32/4[ IS ALSO OK.

SINCERELY
    MATY R.