Thread: Can a young squirrel have acorn squash?

Default Can a young squirrel have acorn squash?

Hello, as most people before me, I have been trying to read up on "good advice" on the internet, and have read good and bad things about giving squirrels acorn squash specifically, so I was hoping someone with some good old fashioned know how could give me some guidence. Also my little fella who would eat everything I gave him, has decided he doesn't like his kale much anymore, so now I have to figure out good calcium rich veggies. I'm also not sure how to read from the calcium to phosphorus charts I've seen here, still trying to understand them. All advice from seasoned squirrel rehabbers and lovers is appreciated

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Beecheykeen from:

Diggie's Friend (06-23-2020)

Default Re: Can a young squirrel have acorn squash?

Squirrels can have acorn squash. I’ve never had any that would readily eat it, though. Try offering, chicory, endive, escarole, raddichio, arugula, watercress, bok choy, dandelion leaves, and a small occasional piece of spinach in place of kale. He might just be tired of it and will like it again in the future.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (06-22-2020), island rehabber (06-22-2020)

I've never had any like acorn squash either, but most of mine have LOVED butternut squash. Easier to cut up, also!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (06-22-2020), Mel1959 (06-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I've never had any like acorn squash either, but most of mine have LOVED butternut squash. Easier to cut up, also!
    Thank you =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Squirrels can have acorn squash. I’ve never had any that would readily eat it, though. Try offering, chicory, endive, escarole, raddichio, arugula, watercress, bok choy, dandelion leaves, and a small occasional piece of spinach in place of kale. He might just be tired of it and will like it again in the future.

Thanks for the list of things to try. I'm glad occasional spinach is ok because he really enjoys that. I gave him a whole giant leaf but stopped the spinach completely when I read squirrels should never eat it, but I would love to give it to him as a treat here and there. My little guy is gonna try some bok choy tonight with his Romain lettuce, broccoli and apple bits.

Squash (Curcurbita) is a pod fruit that contains the seeds of squash and pumpkin vines. Squirrels are partial to pod fruits in the wild as both fruit and seeds provide them with a ready source of nutrition. Once they discover/learn that these pod fruits contain seeds, they are literally all in!

My squirrels loved eating raw squash every day. A friend of mine feeds the baked squash daily to their gray squirrel that nums it right down! The USDA database on squash and pumpkins shows that when baked it becomes higher in Beta-carotene.

Melons also belong to this same group of pod fruits (Curcurbita). The sweeter kinds are generally preferred, with both seeds and the flesh together; this unlike squash seeds that contain a considerable amount of fats that should be limited in the captive diet.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

10. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Beecheykeen (07-17-2020), Chirps (07-19-2020), island rehabber (06-23-2020), Mel1959 (06-23-2020), Mialouise (07-17-2020), Scooterzmom (06-23-2020)

Just a question: do anybody's squirrels like melon? I mean except for watermelon, which many do seem to like, for whatever reason my kids never touch cantaloupe or honeydew....in fact they do the "yucky" with their little arms after sniffing it. Wondering if anyone else has seen the same reaction.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

The Crenshaw, aka 'Cranshaw' Melon
    a variety of Muskmelon made by crossing a Persian melon with a Casaba melon.
    A Crenshaw melon, is a hybrid melon with very sweet, juicy orange flesh. Crenshaws are among the sweetest of melons when they are well cultivated, making them a popular melon during their peak season between July and September. Many markets and greengrocers carry Crenshaw melons in the summertime, along with an assortment of other refreshing summer fruits.
    Given that tastes vary, some people may not like this sweeter juicy melon; yet when it was offered to a tree squirrel it left no competition for even other varieties of melon that were prior accepted. (photo on below page)

http://produceoasis.com/ProductDetai.../CrenshawMelon

Discarding the rind and skin, the flesh can be stored in small portions by scooping out the flesh with a melon baller (see page below) and placing it into silicone silicone freezer trays and storing them in vacuum sealed bags in the freezer. This both limits waste and preserves the source past the time it is available in season.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Dou.../dp/B00004OCM4

I just may try it with the next group of fuzzbutts who come in , and if they don't like it I'm sure I will.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Likely they will, and likely you will too.

My hubby loves this melon variety, it's the creme de la creme of melons; nothing else is quite like it!

With these baby food trays it is easy to store portions to conveniently pop out one at a time for meals. It virtually eliminates waste of squash, tree fruit, and berries, preserving these foods long term past the time they are available in season.

https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Protec...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Squash (Curcurbita) is a pod fruit that contains the seeds of squash and pumpkin vines. Squirrels are partial to pod fruits in the wild as both fruit and seeds provide them with a ready source of nutrition. Once they discover/learn that these pod fruits contain seeds, they are literally all in!

My squirrels loved eating raw squash every day. A friend of mine feeds the baked squash daily to their gray squirrel that nums it right down! The USDA database on squash and pumpkins shows that when baked it becomes higher in Beta-carotene.

Melons also belong to this same group of pod fruits (Curcurbita). The sweeter kinds are generally preferred, with both seeds and the flesh together; this unlike squash seeds that contain a considerable amount of fats that should be limited in the captive diet.
    Thank for that info . I fed my little one some raw acorn squash (as she was being picky with her normal stuff) and she seems to like it at certain times. Good to know when squashes like pumpkin are baked they have more beta carotine, thanks!