Thread: Grey squirrel with unusual balls of white hair

Default Grey squirrel with unusual balls of white hair

Hi. I am new member that lives in Toronto, Canada. I have a question about a squirrel with a peculiar fur distribution and appearance which we think may be a sign of illness. We have lived in the area for over 20 years and don't recall seeing a squirrel with any similar resemblance with respect to its fur.

We have two cats and three rabbits and assume that any chance of the possible illness jumping the species barrier are extremely low for all of the usual reasons. In addition, we have at least four or five different squirrels in our garden daily and our pets never come in direct contact with them. Still, it is in the back of our minds. If there is something we could do to help it we would gladly do so.

I am posting a picture and hoping someone can help identify what, if any, condition this particular squirrel may have. We have now spent at least 30 minutes watching it drink and eat in our garden and haven't observed any behavior we could discern as unusual. I took a picture a few days ago when the visible white fur covered a much larger percentage of its body but that picture was from farther away and not nearly so clear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Grey squirrel with unusual balls of white hair

That poor guy is sick, yes. As to what exactly it's hard to tell. Could be mange, could be pox.. is there some way for you to take a better picture of him? In the meanwhile, those should not transfer to your pets unless they have pghysical contact with him. Squirrel pox is not transfereable to cats or dogs anyway. He is much more at risk from your pets - as a prey - than they are from him.

As I said, a closer pic would help a lot.
    Please do continue to make sure he gets water and food. with these dog days we're getting, water is essential for sure. That way, if he's used to your place, if'n when it's time to give him meds - depending on his illness - you will be able put it on nuts or in his food.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Yes please respond back so previous member can help. There r ways to help a wild squirrel so whatever it is doesnt spread. U can tell he needs help by fur eyes amd squirrel position. Just has that I dont feel good posture.

Sincerely
    Mary r

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ozzy2019 from:

island rehabber (06-20-2020)

Thanks to both of you for your replies. We have yet to see the squirrel today but there were some kids over so that is not surprising. We will try to take a better picture if we see it again. For now I will post a link where the original picture can be seen in better quality.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GPPma2AvnGUgv6xL6

Other than that we are going to try to change the water three times a day which is easy since the hose is right there. There are also plenty of sunflower seeds and peanuts for it to eat here.

Thanks again to both of you for your help. If there is an update or better picture I will post again.

That looks really unnatural... in the linked picture it appears like there is a piece of mulch / wood splinter stick to his fur. Maybe another in his tail Which make me wonder if the white is also some kind of material "stuck" to him.. like he was rolled in sticky substance and has material stuck to him. And matted his fur down as well perhaps.

Definitely more pictures would help...

Any construction happening in your neighborhood?

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

island rehabber (06-21-2020), Rhapsody (06-22-2020)