Thread: Possible Pneumonia?

Question Possible Pneumonia?

Hi!
    I've been taking care of a baby squirrel for around a week now. He is four weeks old, opened his eyes last night. He has been eating very well and is hydrated, and has been making good and frequent bowel and bladder movements.
    However, and this may just be paranoia on my end as his brother passed away yesterday morning, I'm wondering if some of his behaviours are early signs of pneumonia. During feedings, he occasionally brings formula into his nose (which we have cleared every time to the absolute best of our ability) and yesterday he jerked his head into the water during a bath to get formula off his face. Today I have noticed him sneezing or hiccupping, not constantly, but irregularly and with several fits an hour. He also is much more dependent on heat and contact than usual. While he's still climbing around and being curious, it is a bit less than normal.
    He does not have clicking sounds with every breath and his coat is still coming in full.
    He did have a new cloth with him last night and this morning, which I have since removed in case it is irritating his lungs.
    Is this him getting used to his new normal or should I be concerned about a developing case of pneumonia?

Default Re: Possible Pneumonia?

When you hold him up to your ear like a phone do you hear any clicking? Did something happen that caused his brother to pass away yesterday? Did he also inhale formula when he was feeding?

What formula are you feeding? How often and how much at each feeding?

If the eyes just opened he’s about 5 weeks old.

You should begin a search for antibiotics, just in case. Call friends and family, you just need one pill. See if you can find Augmentin or Clavamox (animal) or Ciproflaxin or Baytril (animal).

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Nancy in New York (06-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    When you hold him up to your ear like a phone do you hear any clicking? Did something happen that caused his brother to pass away yesterday? Did he also inhale formula when he was feeding?

What formula are you feeding? How often and how much at each feeding?

If the eyes just opened he’s about 5 weeks old.

You should begin a search for antibiotics, just in case. Call friends and family, you just need one pill. See if you can find Augmentin or Clavamox (animal) or Ciproflaxin or Baytril (animal).

His brother passed away from pneumonia after inhaling formula once. He hasn’t been clicking but has been sneezing every 45 seconds or so. I have been giving him Esbilac as I only heard of the problems last night (my previous information sources were apparently outdated) and will get him a different formula and Baytril tonight. He has been eating around 5ccs every 4 hours (we feed him until his stomach is round) but he seems to be looking for food after an hour and a half during the morning. His breathing is rapid as well, but I’ve been having difficulties finding a point of reference for what is normal in squirrels.

He will succumb quickly to AP if you don’t get him on antibiotics. Did you find some?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Nancy in New York (06-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    He will succumb quickly to AP if you don’t get him on antibiotics. Did you find some?
    I was unable to find some yesterday and will be looking again today. Is what I described definitely symptoms of AP?

It’s hard to tell. Any clicking from his chest is not good. I’m primarily concerned at how quickly his brother passed. If it isn’t AP the antibiotic won’t hurt him. If it is and it’s left untreated he will die.

Have you ordered Fox Valley 20/50 to replace the Esbilac?

I agree with tje other member. Please get a course of antibiotics for the baby. If its aspiration pneumonia it will pass quickly. My vet is awesome in sc if u live around here. Aspiration pneumonia is awful. They basically fight for every breath amd I know how it feels to have human p pneumonia.
    Antibiotics wont hurt.

Curious about the feeding technique and what u are feeding them with that way we can keep any accidental fluid from getting in the lungs to begin with. Theres an excellent 6 page instruction under care for baby squirrels. Its printable off the squirrel board amdnoff hemery s healthy pets that sell the awesome myracle syringes with no slip o rings.

Also be er use a kitten bottle. Always syringes and go slow. As they get older around 6 weeks they get a strong sucking power depending on the squirrel and can sometimes move the syringe faster than they should. Let me know if u already have that info.

My vet will see u without u being a rehabber. Cornerstone veterinary practice off broad river road in columbia sc. U can private message me if you want me to call for you or I can give u my private number.

I got ozzy through double lung pneumonia and failure 2 thrive from previous owner feeding wrong milk, wrong feeding technique. Wrong equipment, wrong feeding amount, no heat source from 2 weeks old to 7 weeks old.

Just willing 2 help

Mary r.