Thread: Doing a soft release

Default Doing a soft release

Hi there....this is my second rehabbed squirrel (eastern grey). I've had Louis now for 7 weeks, he's just 14 weeks now. He's been outside in his pre-release cage for 10 days now. I'm following all the do's and don'ts. Yesterday I opened his tiny door and after a few hours he ventured outside. Things were great for a while, but then he started going farther an farther away!!! He ended up across the street in my neighbor's yard, he didn't look at ALL when he crossed the street! I was following from afar, and I don't know if I should have or not, but I was having a heart attack!!! Eventually I coaxed him to come to me and I picked him up and put him back in his cage. He was not happy. So now what? Should I try it again today? My last release just stayed in the yard and ended up building a nest in the tree above our house...it was perfect!

Appreciate any feedback!!!
    Buddy's Mom....mjs

Default Re: Doing a soft release

14 weeks is a little young. If you don’t think he’s very prepared yet, then wait a couple more weeks. I think they do much better when they are older when released.