Thread: Need Help - Squirrel with Broken Arm (I think)

Default Need Help - Squirrel with Broken Arm (I think)

Hello,

I wonder if someone could answer some questions. I raised a baby last year and it's somewhere in the woods behind my house, but this is about another squirrel. I'm in Florida and these eastern greys.

A couple of days ago I was down passing out a few peanuts when one of the squirrels limped down the tree on one arm. It's right arm is injured and quite possibly broken about 1 cm or less than half an inch behind it's paw and the paw is swollen and darker colored. I don't see any signs of pain, but there must be. I gave it half a pecan and he or she went back to a limb and held it in its left hand and ate it (four or five of them). I'm able to get a close look at it each time and it looked a little better a moment ago since yesterday, but clearly its still a big problem.

I'm fairly certain it's not my squirrel (mothers can tell that kind of thing). I wish I could do something. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help,

Bob

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to robert574:

Chirps (06-21-2020), RockyPops (06-16-2020)

Default Re: Need Help - Squirrel with Broken Arm (I think)

I make it a point to make sure my injured wilds get well fed. Establish a time to go see her and bring lots of really choice goodies. Early in the day is best. The idea is to stuff them so full of food all they want to do is stagger home and sleep. While they are doing that they aren't out being chased by things while they are not in a situation to escape the way they should. If you can stuff them and get them to sleep and not walk around on the injured limb foraging, lots of times they can get better.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Thanks for the reply. I believe it's a female. I've stayed with her until she can't eat any more and I pick out some choice nuts for her that she can hold and eat easily. The other squirrels have to run around her but they seem to give her a little space. I give the others peanuts to keep them occupied and make it easier for her to come down and get some food.

I raised a squirrel last year and when it got larger, I cut off a pair of sweatshirt sleeves, made a thumb hole in the cuff and wore them with a pair of gloves. They protected my arms pretty well, but I was still buying neosporin in the big tubes for all the cuts. She would tear around me like I was covered in tree bark.

I am willing to try, but I kinda doubt that this injured squirrel would let me pick her up or carry her somewhere and it makes it really difficult to get her any help.

I saw some pictures online of squirrels wearing casts (for real), but it's not clear how they managed to pick them up although someone is holding them in a lot of the pictures. Is there any chance that the arm could heal up on its own?

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to robert574:

Well, there is a big difference between an injured wild squirrel and an injured squirrel you have raised from a baby. She mostly trusts you I am sure but capturing and treating her would be traumatic for both of you. If she is getting around and eating, I would help her with healthy, yummy food and hopefully she will take advantage of you and rest up and heal. They usually do.

I don't now how bad this break is but I have watched my wild squirrels recover from injuries that would have killed a person. They are tough and inventive; they learn how to use the hurt limb to the best of their ability. If it is a close break, yes, calcium can actually bridge the gap in the bone. It won't flex like a wrist but is functional for climbing, running and holding food.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

I just fed him again. All the others were out earlier and were taking nap somewhere. His hand looks a little chewed on today and not as swollen. I'm hoping it's not broken, but there's no way to tell yet.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to robert574:

Things are looking up. I've been feeding her every day and her arm looks much better. A lot of the swelling has gone down. She still protects it and doesn't put any weight on it, but she gets around amazingly well with the one good arm. I haven't seen here today yet, but probably this afternoon she will show up and eat her fill of pecans. I have water set out also that I replace daily. Thanks to everyone for the support here. I just feel terrible not being able to do more than I have.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to robert574 from:

Chirps (06-21-2020)

That is wonderful news. You might offer her some avocado chunks as well. No pit or skin. They all seem to love it. She might like some fruit as well like a peeled grape. The easier you make it for her by meeting her needs of food and water, the less she has to forage and the quicker she can heal. Thanks for helping her.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Chirps (06-21-2020)

She's been eating every day or so and is much improved. She still keeps her weight off of the paw coming down the tree, but I noticed she uses it to help hold her food and she does touch it to the ground and moves a lot faster across the tree. When I was feeding her before, a couple of squirrels wanted to chase her away:serene:serene:serene, but today I saw her chase them for 20 or 30 feet and then come back. Good for her. That's the kind of thing that makes it all Worthwhile.

The squirrel I raised would eat a lot of different fruits and veggies, but I haven't had much luck with the wild squirrels. They will take it from me then drop it a few feet away and come back for nut. I've tried leaving pieces but they are all on the ground when I return. I'll keep trying though.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to robert574 from:

Chirps (06-27-2020)