Thread: Molly having seizures and not eating

Default Molly having seizures and not eating

Please, I am looking for help from people who have experience with seizures in either their own squirrel or one they have specific knowledge of.

Molly has had a UTI. It began a couple of weeks ago. I treated with cipro for a week and it seemed to be gone. Two days later, on Wednesday, she peed blood. The UTI was back. I started the cipro again. I called the vet and we went the next day to see him. While waiting in the parking lot, Molly had a full blown seizure. They came out and the vet was kind enough to let me be there while he examined her. He was floored by all of her anomalies.
    Against my heart strings, I left her for a couple of hours for xrays and blood work. (Let's say that the lab reported back that the freaking vial of blood was broken in transit so that went to hell)
    Nothing of particular note in reference to the uti showed.
    We got home and while she was sitting in my lap, she seized again. I gave valium and it stopped. She hasn't eaten, even before valium was given. She hadn't had another seizure until this morning. As I gave her antibiotic, she seized again. Ken was holding her and another seizure came. I've given valium and she is out cold again.
    Help needed. Anyone suggestions for appetite and/or seizures?
    I've tried Nutrical, molasses and many other sweetened water options.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Default Re: Molly having seizures and not eating

Gayle, I would get her off of the Ciprofloxacin immediately. The entire class (Fluoroquinolones) including Cipro are associated with central nervous system issues. Seizures in particular. It lowers the seizure threshold. If she is already seizing, the Cipro either is causing it or is contributing to it.

I would switch her to Septra for the UTI. This is the first time she has had seizures, right?
    Ciprofloxacin used to the the drug of choice for UTIs in humans. That is no longer the case. The side effects of the fluoroquinolones are so serious, they are only used for serious issues and not simple infections like UTI or sinus infections. They are considered much too risky when other choices are available. Of course, they usually don’t cause side effects but when they do, they are serious.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Grinderhead (06-14-2020), Nancy in New York (06-14-2020), SammysMom (06-14-2020)

Does this hold true even if she was on the copro for a week with no issue except the uti improving?
    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Gayle, I would get her off of the Ciprofloxacin immediately. The entire class (Fluoroquinolones) including Cipro are associated with central nervous system issues. Seizures in particular. It lowers the seizure threshold. If she is already seizing, the Cipro either is causing it or is contributing to it.

I would switch her to Septra for the UTI. This is the first time she has had seizures, right?
    Ciprofloxacin used to the the drug of choice for UTIs in humans. That is no longer the case. The side effects of the fluoroquinolones are so serious, they are only used for serious issues and not simple infections like UTI or sinus infections. They are considered much too risky when other choices are available. Of course, they usually don’t cause side effects but when they do, they are serious.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Does this hold true even if she was on the copro for a week with no issue except the uti improving?
    Yes, there is a cumulative effect. As the length of dosing increases the chance of side effects increases.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (06-14-2020), SammysMom (06-14-2020)

Here is the urine color before and after as well as her xray.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Wow.