Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel dragging back legs

Default Re: Squirrel dragging back legs

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    You can try dippping the tip of the syringe in maple or corn syrup, to make the meds more acceptable. It always helps
    That's a good idea! I did try banana baby food but he wasn't interested. I'll try the maple syrup tonight. We sort of have a love hate relationship right now. He hates the meds and won't let me hold him hardly anymore to feed him. I guess I can no longer be trusted. His appetite has increased and I'm assuming that's due to the gabapentin. This morning I thought I saw slight movement in his tail but can't be sure. This afternoon I had to give him a bath since he's not using the litter box and while I held him under his arms and he was just hanging there while I cleaned his little bottom he definitely pulled his left leg up! I'm so happy. I'm afraid the little guy is getting bored and play time seems a little frustrating. His little arms are getting stronger though. If I can figure out how to post a picture you'll see him enjoying a little belly rub before he goes to sleep.💕
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

Chirps (06-16-2020), Nancy in New York (06-18-2020)

I don't know why the picture is upside down but at least it worked for me.

Twiggy is doing much better and seems to improve a little more each day. He's using one leg to get around and seems more willing to explore his surroundings again. He stretches his other leg and grips with his toes, just not walking on it yet. He looks much happier. Today will be day 5 of the Gabapentin and I need to know if I should start stepping down his dose yet.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CrazyCatLady from:

RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
    Twiggy is doing much better and seems to improve a little more each day. He's using one leg to get around and seems more willing to explore his surroundings again. He stretches his other leg and grips with his toes, just not walking on it yet. He looks much happier. Today will be day 5 of the Gabapentin and I need to know if I should start stepping down his dose yet.
    I just answered your pm.
    I would keep him on it for another 5 days, and we will re-evaluate him then,
    before we start the "step down" dosing.
    I'm really happy reading this!
    Keep up the good work.

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Chirps (06-19-2020), CrazyCatLady (06-18-2020), Mel1959 (06-19-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Twiggy hanging out in his corner cube. He got in all by himself!👏

9. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

Chirps (06-19-2020), Diggie's Friend (08-21-2020), HRT4SQRLS (06-18-2020), Mel1959 (06-19-2020), Nancy in New York (06-19-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Look at that little face!
    Keep up the great work, Twiggy and Mom.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

CrazyCatLady (06-19-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020)

The stretch-and-grip motion with that leg is a very good sign, in my experience. It's the beginning of having more use of the leg . If you can, do this therapy exercise with him: hold him facing you with fingers under his arms so legs hang down. Now with your other hand, put both hind feet against the palm of your hand and rotate SLOWLY, a few times to the left and then the right. Now push his hind feet in toward his body, and he will probably stretch them against your hand. Do this at least 5 times also. This worked miracles with two back-end injured squirrels of mine.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

13. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (06-19-2020), CrazyCatLady (06-19-2020), Rocky1 (07-07-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    The stretch-and-grip motion with that leg is a very good sign, in my experience. It's the beginning of having more use of the leg . If you can, do this therapy exercise with him: hold him facing you with fingers under his arms so legs hang down. Now with your other hand, put both hind feet against the palm of your hand and rotate SLOWLY, a few times to the left and then the right. Now push his hind feet in toward his body, and he will probably stretch them against your hand. Do this at least 5 times also. This worked miracles with two back-end injured squirrels of mine.
    I will definitely do that! Anything to get the little guy stronger. Thanks. He just got through scratching his own ear with his left leg. I bet that made him happy. Now we're just waiting for the other leg to catch up.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

Nancy in New York (06-19-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Look who's curling his tail this morning.

17. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

Chirps (08-22-2020), Diggie's Friend (08-21-2020), island rehabber (06-20-2020), Nancy in New York (06-20-2020), Rocky1 (07-07-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Happy, happy news.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

CrazyCatLady (06-20-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Look who's curling his tail this morning.
    Well this just made my day!

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

great news!!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Well somebody was walking on both legs lastnight. I don't want to mention any names but his initials are Twiggy 😄 Yay! I noticed he was definitely using it to climb up the back of his arcade chair but would still keep it out to the side when he walked but not lastnight. I don't think he wants me to know because when I tried to get pictures he wouldn't cooperate at all. He's not 100% but still improves daily. Thanks to Island Rehabber he is doing his excersises. He doesn't seem to mind them but I swear he looks at me as if I've gone soft in the head and only does it to make me feel better. He doesn't sit up to eat yet. He's still propping on stuff or just lays down, but he is a completely different squirrel than when all of this started.

I do have a new question. Is it possible that he doesn't have control of his bladder even though he appears to be improving in every other way? He was litter trained prior to his injury. Of course when he couldn't walk that went out the window. Now that he can get in his litter pan again he doesn't. At first I thought maybe he got lazy but some mornings he wakes up soaked in urine and boy is he grumpy when that happens. As soon as I walk in the room he's yelling at me. It's the only time he's super vocal. He acts like I'm the one who peed on him. I promise you I have not. He however has peed on me twice. He's lucky he's cute. Also he is not a fan of baths. Any thoughts?
    I'll include two pictures of him eating. All things considered I believe he's doing great.

25. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

Chirps (08-22-2020), island rehabber (07-07-2020), Nancy in New York (06-24-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020), Scooterzmom (06-24-2020)

Twiggy is getting around really well. He still doesn't sit up to eat and has sort of mastered laying flat on his stomach without the need to prop on anything in order to eat. This can be problematic if he attempts to eat while on a branch. He runs and plays and can climb up and down any type of flat surface but is extremely clumsy on branches. He sort of holds his legs at an angle most times. Maybe that will go away in time.

Thank you to everyone that offered help and advice. Twiggy would not be where he is today if not for all of you helping us. ❤
    Here is a link to two short clips from yesterday. I have to help or it's very slow going.
    https://youtu.be/j8K66wfAmJo

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

Chirps (08-22-2020), Nancy in New York (07-07-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020)

I see a future for Twiggy high in the trees!

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

CrazyCatLady (07-07-2020), Nancy in New York (07-07-2020)

Thanks to Island Rehabber he is doing his excersises. He doesn't seem to mind them but I swear he looks at me as if I've gone soft in the head and only does it to make me feel better.
    I remember that look from both of mine!
    Therapy really works with these guys. One of mine recovered completely and is free in the trees. The other was more serioously injured and could only lay on her side when I got her. Therapy at least made her able to climb the walls of her cage and bunny-hop around to her heart's content. She was never graceful but she was so happy .

As for the bath, try using a 1-qt plastic container, like what Won-Ton soup comes in from the Chinese restaurant. Fill with warm soapy water (I always use Dawn because I know it won't hurt them.) Put the squirrel in only up to his armpits and swish his lower body and tail around in the container. If you go slowly, and the water is warm, most of them love it. You can rinse this way also, running warm plain water into the container until it's clear. This seems to make them feel secure and relaxed, as opposed to being plopped into a bin or a sink and wallowing around.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

31. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (08-22-2020), CrazyCatLady (07-07-2020), Nancy in New York (07-07-2020)

As for the bath, try using a 1-qt plastic container, like what Won-Ton soup comes in from the Chinese restaurant. Fill with warm soapy water (I always use Dawn because I know it won't hurt them.) Put the squirrel in only up to his armpits and swish his lower body and tail around in the container. If you go slowly, and the water is warm, most of them love it. You can rinse this way also, running warm plain water into the container until it's clear. This seems to make them feel secure and relaxed, as opposed to being plopped into a bin or a sink and wallowing around.
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
    As always, thanks for the tip. We will most certainly try that for the next bath.

Bob3 Guest

Default Lead paint?

Got any old painted surfaces that have been nibbled on? Lead messes w/ the nerves first.
    Orange juice may help.

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bob3 from:

CrazyCatLady (08-01-2020)

Im new here was just reading and just wanted to say my experience. I had a squirrel that I rehabilitated that got a calcium deficiency and cause paralysis in the hind legs. Long story short had to add more calcium to his diet and eventually he did better.

Hello Squirrel Board!! I wanted to post a couple of videos showing how well my girl Twiggy is doing. As previously mentioned, Twiggy has mastered the art of lying on her stomach in order to eat. Sometimes she will find a place to prop so she isn't quite so flat on her belly so I built her a picnic table hoping to keep her upright. As you can see from this first video, that works most of the time, but old habits are hard to break.
    https://youtu.be/Y5y2aAPlcbc

She still struggles with her right leg/hip. What I'm most excited to share is this second video. It didn't last long and I'm thrilled I was recording when it happened. Still getting stronger every day. I never imagined seeing a squirrel stand on her own two legs could make me feel so much love, for Twiggy and for the wonderful people on TSB.😘

https://youtu.be/46P2EFNSNqU

37. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

RockyPops (12-27-2020), stepnstone (12-26-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast