Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel dragging back legs

Default Squirrel dragging back legs

I have a squirrel, Twiggy, approximately 8 1/2-9 1/2 weeks old. My cat brought him home at approximately 4 weeks of age. He has been eating Fox Valley formula. He started off with about 15ml per sitting and worked his way up to 45-60ml each feeding. He's started eating more solid food so he is consuming less formula. I have Henry's wild bites and a variety of vegetables. He appears to be healthy and happy. Yesterday when I came home from shopping I noticed he was dragging his back leg. I'm assuming it was from injury as his diet is good. Not sure what he could have done to injure himself though. I checked on him again within a couple hours and both legs are dragging and his tail is limp. Not sure about his tail earlier. He trys to pull himself around with his arms, but it seems like a huge struggle. I can pinch his toes and see slight movement in both feet when I do this. He is pooing fine and is peeing on his own. He is still eating and drinking just not in large quantities. Smaller amounts so I increased the number of feedings. I have applied heat to his rear with a rice sock. He stays pretty much in one spot, mostly because it seems like too much work to do anything else. He doesn't want to be in his bed anymore, he wants to stay on the floor so I put his bedding there. Any advice please. I'm not sure what else I can do. I'm not in a state where I would be able to simply take him to a vet. I would be extremely thankful for any help.

Default Re: Squirrel dragging back legs

Oh no. It sure sounds like an injury. Just to make sure... he isn’t getting a lot of nuts right? Your diet sounds perfect so it probably isn’t MBD.

Is there any chance you can get gabapentin or prednisone? There has been some success treating spinal injuries with these drugs. If it’s a broken spine, recovery of the limbs is less likely.

One more thing. I realize that you have had the baby a while. Could you check the baby carefully for anything like an under the skin infection or abscess. Sometimes cat bites will smolder for a while and then blow up. I doubt that’s the case here as it has been a bit too long from the initial intake.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

CrazyCatLady (06-14-2020)

He has had virtually no nuts. Only what is in the Henry's wild bites. I do have gabapentin but wasn't sure of a dose or if I should administer it at all. I realize squirrels are notorious for hiding pain so I wasn't sure. I do have a few steroid tablets. I would need to know the correct dosage to give. They are 5 mg tablets. He still trys to play with me and seems frustrated he can't wrestle as well. I thoroughly inspected him for puncture wounds when I found him. Couldn't find any. I have never felt anything abnormal on him like signs of an abscess realizing I could have missed a puncture. Nothing. He was happy as ever before I went to the store yesterday.

What is his weight so the gabapentin can be dosed for you?

Do you have Metacam? What are the steroid pills that you have.
    I had a squirrel that had total front end paralysis. The vet put him
    on Gabapentin and Metacam, and it fixed him up completely.

Could this little one have taken a fall?
    How tall is his cage?

He weighs 218 grams. I was wondering if it would hurt to give him more calcium daily. I have calcium carbonate powder but didn't know if I could overdo it.

What about a vet. If n sc cornerstone bet practice could see him.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
    He weighs 218 grams. I was wondering if it would hurt to give him more calcium daily. I have calcium carbonate powder but didn't know if I could overdo it.
    What is the strength of the Gabapentin, and what steroid do you have.
    If he is eating blocks, there is no need for additional calcium and a healthy diet.

Could he have taken a fall?

If he has feelings in his feet left and he can do his business on his own, it sounds like a back injury. The Metacam & Gabapentin combo can accomplish miracles in such cases. Just remember that you have to decrease gradually for the Gabapentin - you don't stop it abruptly.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

Nancy in New York (06-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Do you have Metacam? What are the steroid pills that you have.
    I had a squirrel that had total front end paralysis. The vet put him
    on Gabapentin and Metacam, and it fixed him up completely.

Could this little one have taken a fall?
    How tall is his cage?
    I have prednisone. He has access to a cat post that's only as high as a window sill but has never gone to the top of it yet. He really isn't much of a climber and prefers to be down low. His branches are all less than a foot off the ground since he was so unsteady on his feet due to age. Now that he's more agile, my leg is the only thing he climbs and that's only when I'm sitting. I don't know the exact dimensions of his cage. It's a temporary setup. It's very short, not designed for a squirrel as he can fit through the bars. The room has his cage, a couch, a scratching post and an arcade chair. Everytime I come in the room he's on the arcade chair. When I feed him, he climbs down a ramp from the couch back to the arcade chair. When he plays, he wants to be in his arcade chair. He only stayed in the cage the first few weeks before he learned he could get around. Now he wants to stay on the floor in front of his arcade chair. The back of the chair is slightly taller than the window sill which comes to the top of my thigh. I wouldn't think such a short fall could do that kind of damage. I wonder if he twisted wrong or something.

The gabapentin I have is 300 mg capsules. I compound it myself with liquid vitamins to administer it to a cat with stomatitis. He gets 30 mg.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy2019 View Post
    What about a vet. If n sc cornerstone bet practice could see him.
    I was hoping maybe someone would know someone in my area that would be willing to see him. I would love to have an xray done to know for sure what I'm dealing with. Money is a little tight right now. (Coronavirus) If taking him to a neighboring state was my only option, I'm sure I could find a way.

OK let me just get this straight.
    Your little one weighs 218 grams.
    You have Prednisone 5 mg.
    You have Gabapentin 300 mg.
    Correct?
    If so, I will send you dosing information.
    Just let me know if these strengths and weight are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    OK let me just get this straight.
    Your little one weighs 218 grams.
    You have Prednisone 5 mg.
    You have Gabapentin 300 mg.
    Correct?
    If so, I will send you dosing information.
    Just let me know if these strengths and weight are correct.
    That is all correct. Thank you so much. Is there anything else I should be doing for Twiggy? Exercising his legs? I don't want to do more damage by moving him around more than necessary.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CrazyCatLady from:

Nancy in New York (06-14-2020)

That is all correct. Thank you so much. Is there anything else I should be doing for Twiggy? Exercising his legs? I don't want to do more damage by moving him around more than necessary.

No I wouldn't do anything more at this point.
    Fingers crossed the drugs will help.
    Dosing to follow in a couple of minutes via pm.
    Prayers for your little buddy.

Edit: Dosing Sent

19. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Chirps (06-16-2020), CrazyCatLady (06-14-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020), Spanky (06-14-2020)

I will start with the meds tonight and post updates periodically. Twiggy and I thank you so very much.

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

Nancy in New York (06-14-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020)

I was hoping maybe someone would know someone in my area that would be willing to see him. I would love to have an xray done to know for sure what I'm dealing with. Money is a little tight right now. (Coronavirus) If taking him to a neighboring state was my only option, I'm sure I could find a way.
    Start the meds per Nancy's instructions. If there is no improvement in a day or three I may be able to facilitate getting some x-rays if you can bring him to NE GA. The pred / gabapentin is the best course of action at this point.

If the X-Rays did show a trauma, the gabapentin / prednisone would most likely still be the action recommended.

23. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Chirps (06-16-2020), CrazyCatLady (06-14-2020), Nancy in New York (06-15-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Thank you Spanky. I will definitely take you up on that if need be.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CrazyCatLady from:

RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Twiggy had his his steroid lastnight and ate a good dinner. I had to wait until this morning to give the gabapentin because I didn't have a bottle to mix it in. He had a fair amount of breakfast but clearly no longer trusts me to feed him since he's no longer sure what I'm going to be giving him ☺ I'm sure he'll forgive me by his next meal. Thank you again.

27. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CrazyCatLady:

Chirps (06-16-2020), Nancy in New York (06-16-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020), Scooterzmom (06-16-2020)

Twiggy had his his steroid lastnight and ate a good dinner. I had to wait until this morning to give the gabapentin because I didn't have a bottle to mix it in. He had a fair amount of breakfast but clearly no longer trusts me to feed him since he's no longer sure what I'm going to be giving him ☺ I'm sure he'll forgive me by his next meal. Thank you again.
    You can try dippping the tip of the syringe in maple or corn syrup, to make the meds more acceptable. It always helps
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

29. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Chirps (06-16-2020), CrazyCatLady (06-16-2020), Nancy in New York (06-16-2020), RockyPops (07-06-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast