Thread: Beautiful Baby Bo, a Costa Rican Princess

Hybrid View

Default Beautiful Baby Bo, a Costa Rican Princess

Hi!
    Iím Agustina.

I live in Costa Rica, on the pacific coast.
    A few days ago we found a baby squirrel under a tree after a horrible storm.
    It was all by herself (Well... we believe sheís a girl), clearly in shock and a bit damaged.

We couldnít find any professional help in the area. I live in a rural area with almost no vets and no professional rehabilitators.
    The only vet that felt like giving me some advice told me to feed the squirrel with delactosed cow milk, and thatís what Iíve been doing since then.

I believe I did a good job keeping her hydrated the first few days, and also keeping her warm and helping her peeing/pooping: Sheís peeing amazingly and no diarrhea at all. I nursed maaaany many puppies (cat and dogs) so I had some experience from that.

But then I started to do some research online and finally found some helpful profesional insights. Apparently I SHOULD NOT be feeding her with cow milk 😩 Iím gonna get some puppy formula at the vet tomorrow first thing.

I was able to find out sheís around 3 weeks. Iím feeding her according to this (I mean amount of cc and times a day). She looks like sheís growing healthy since I found her 9 days ago.

I will post some pictures/videos of the day we found her and some from just a few minutes ago.

I would like to get some advice, and would love to now is sheís developing alright.

Iíve read about the gaping when nursing and I felt very relieved. She does that all the time. Apparently no inhaling, never seen her nose bubbling or any weird noise. Sheís getting way more curious and active lately, making it a bit harder when feeding her.

Also, Iím little concerned because today I realized her ribs show a bit. Is this normal?

Of course now I know cow milk is a NO, I will be switching to formula right away.

Please Iíd be happy to get some advice to help her grow happy and strong for her future released life.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to agustinanavarro:

Chirps (06-12-2020), TubeDriver (06-13-2020)

Default Re: Hi! Iím new to the forum and could really use some help :)

Aw, she is gorgeous! What is her name:

This: https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/ is an EXCELLENT no nonsense guide to helping to care for these babies. It is 6 pages - read through it and I know you will find it helpful. It is written based on the US but is still very important.

I have sent private messages to a couple who are members here who live on the Pacific coast of CR as well and may be able to help you too.

If you have trouble finding puppy milk, a homemade formula can be made from goats milk, yogurt, heavy cream and egg if you can find the ingredients.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (06-12-2020), island rehabber (06-11-2020)

Thanks so much for your kind reply!

Her name is Bo ❤️ We were not sure of her gender at first (Well, still arenít much &#128514 So we went for something that could be both male/female.

Sheís really beautiful right?

Iíve just read the entire guide you sent me. SUPER useful. I think Bo might be a little bit dehydrated, not extremely. But Iím starting with hydration process right now.

Iím also positive about the fact that the milk Iíve been feeding is not helping her develop AS healthy as she should. Iím switching to homemade formula today. Luckily, Iíll all be able to find all the ingredients easily.

Again, thanks for your help.

Iíll be touching base frequently to show how Boís doing.

❤️

Agustina

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to agustinanavarro:

Chirps (06-12-2020), RockyPops (06-12-2020)

Take a photo of the pertinent parts and we will sex her for you. I am saying "her" because usually if people are unsure, it is a girl. Both of them have "outies" but boys really advertise!

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (06-12-2020), island rehabber (06-11-2020), RockyPops (06-12-2020)

Here it goes!
    Excited to know

Thanks once again!Name:  E12316B4-C32A-4B42-BB49-10BC613E8C08.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  89.5 KB

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to agustinanavarro:

island rehabber (06-11-2020), RockyPops (06-12-2020)

Agustina! As I was starting to read this thread and scrolling down, I see your baby Bo and in my head I said "Aww, she is gorgeous!" scroll down some more to find that CritterMom beat me to it with those exact words . I know you have two varieties of tri-color variegated squirrels there, and Bo's deep gold coloring is the more unusual.

Sounds as if you are right on point with what you're doing for her, and the puppy milk will definitely be better than any type of cow's milk. See if you can find Esbilac with an expiration date of 10/2021 or later -- OR, Royal Canin puppy formula. There is so much information here and also on that excellent Henry's Pets site, you should be fine -- but keep asking questions and we will keep responding.

PS: Yep, SHE is a beautiful little girl!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (06-12-2020), Diggie's Friend (06-12-2020)

Oh I feel very happy Iíve found this forum. I really really needed some expertise help and the kind words are such a motivation!

Thanks to all of you ❤️

Oh... So baby Bo is -for fact- a beautiful baby girl! Thanks for this confirmation.

Iím already working on finding some of those puppyís formula, or getting some goat milk in the next few hours.

Iíll keep you all posted.

Thanks once again!