Thread: LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON REHABBING BABY RACCOONS

Default LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON REHABBING BABY RACCOONS

a friend found 2 baby raccoons in their barn a day or so after catching mom and releasing her so he gave them to me so ive been bottle feeing them kmr keeping them warm making sure they are going to the bathroom. I will be releasing them back to the wild once they are old enough but should i vaccinate them...and can i do it at home? I cant find a vet that would see them....

*note: im pretty sure they are 4 weeks. Eyes just fully opened, they squeak and scream for their food and they just started getting their teeth.

Default Re: LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON REHABBING BABY RACCOONS

Any possibility they can be reunited with mom, if they know where she was released? Raccoons are good mommas and it always makes me sad when moms are relocated and the babies are left.

Well, first let me say that your heart is about to be completely stolen. Raising raccoons is a joy beyond anything I ever imagined!

Second, they take a loooong time to prepare for release....roughly 5-6 months. They won’t wean until 12+ weeks and need to be taught to hunt food in a stream before release.

You might want to order some KMR in bulk or switch over to Fox Valley for raccoons. I had 3 babies a short time ago and they went through more than 16lbs of Fox Valley before I handed them over to another rehabber to prepare for release....and they weren’t weaned yet.

As for vaccines. You can purchase individual syringes of feline distemper and canine distemper at Tractor Supply. Depending on how early you begin giving the shots will determine how many they need overall. I have an 11 week old that has had one of each. She hasn’t gone to an outside cage yet. Mothers antibodies interfere with the vaccines if given earlier than about 16 weeks, which means they need a booster shot. Rabies is given around 20 weeks before release, unless they’re put outside in a cage where they can come in contact with another animal nose to nose, then they need a full round of shots prior to going out.

You also want to begin a deworming regimen and stick to it until release. My vet is over cautious and recommends both Panacur and Pyrantel Pamoate for deworming.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message and I’ll help any way I can.