Thread: Hello! Nice to Meet You!

Default Hello! Nice to Meet You!

Hi there,
    I've been lurking around for a few months now getting as much info as I can to help Artemis out.
    Artemis is a 14-16 week old Grey Eastern Squirrel, she has a black coat with lots of brown throughout and a fuzzy brown belly.

We (my husband and I) originally believed she feel from her nest and was abandoned, but now we're wondering if she was kicked out. My husband and I have been caring for her since she was around 6 weeks old (we think she was born in early March late February ). She was dehydrated and had a bad case of the fleas.
    As of now she has poor balance (although that is improving now), she doesn't jump, prefers the ground (she has a ton to climb, and can, she just doesn't much, unless you count me), is too sweet for her own good, and makes almost no sounds at all.

She seems very healthy other than that, her teeth are straight, she has a shiny beautiful coat and is full of energy.

She is a very picky eater, which has been difficult, but I keep trying new veggies and know I'll find what she loves.
    Right now she mostly eats Henry's Healthy Blocks (she shreds these and only eats about half), we are going to try the picky blocks and see if she eats more.
    She looooooves avocado, she will fight you for it! I limit that to a small chunk every few days.
    She also loves blueberries, she only gets maybe 2 or 3 of these a day, and dandelions, the flowers more than the greens.
    She doesn't seem to care for any greens or lettuces, but I still have a few to try out for her. And other than pecans, she doesn't much care for nuts.

She will eat a bit of greek yogurt, for some extra calcium and protein, sometimes pick at some broccoli or green beans. And if the day is right, or if the squirrel God's say so, she'll much on Bella mushrooms and zucchini. Today we're trying yellow squash, I hope she likes that.
    I swear we've tried almost everything on the food chart I found here, and she likes almost none of it.

For the time being we are keeping her as it's not illegal in Michigan, but I also know that the time may come when she'll need to go to a wildlife center. She has a large enclosure outside 9 feet tall by 6 feet wide) as well as a cage and hanging nest in the house, we call it the sky pumpkin, and she loves to show it off to you when she gets in there.

I would appreciate any advice or local resources anyone can provide. I know the day may come when we need to part ways, but in the mean time I want to make sure I am doing everything possible for her to stay happy and healthy.

I will try to figure out how to post some pictures after I post this.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
    The board has been so helpful so far, I'm super glad you guys are here.

Nice to meet you!
    Amanda (Ophelia87)
    Attached Images Attached Images