Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PUPPY ESBILAC??

Default Re: PUPPY ESBILAC??

Yep rats. Squirrels nails r black but still cute and still need you. Thanks 4 saving them

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Do the babies have black toenails or white? Do they have 5 digits on their front paw or 4 with a thumb knub? That will differentiate between baby rats or squirrels. Or you can post a picture.

Regardless, I’m not sure what the proper formula is for rats, but you probably can’t go wrong with the homemade goats milk formula. The recipe is: 3 parts fresh goats milk (if you buy powdered or concentrate mix with water according to label directions prior to mixing with other ingredients), 1 part full fat yogurt (vanilla is ok, low fat will do, no artificial sweeteners), and 1 part heavy whipping cream. If they are pinkie squirrels the recipe changes slightly with the addition of an egg yolk. If you click on the Esbilac banner at the top of the forum page it will show you the goats milk recipe for pinkies with the egg addition.

This is a temporary formula. If they’re squirrels you want to replace the egg version of this formula with Fox Valley 20/50 at about 3 weeks old.
    Scooters mom
    When using the fox valley 20/50 you just mix it with the scoop amd water right? No egg needed right?

Squirt, if you have a can of Esbilac powder with an expiration date of 10/2021 you can USE IT. The manufacturer corrected the issue that caused such horrible problems last year (see banner above) and any can with that expiration date or LATER is fine. I used it for mine this past spring and so did other rehabbers I know, but I did add Ultra Boost to the formula. Rats' digestion is somewhat different from squirrels' (less delicate, and they are omnivorous and nocturnal), so IMHO you can use the Esbilac.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Fox Valley is a complete formula for squirrels.....no additional egg is needed. Mix it one part powder to two parts very warm water. The only change you might make is substituting 25% of the powder with Fox Valley Ultraboost for additional calories. The water is always 2 parts to one part powder.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

island rehabber (07-23-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12