Thread: Advice on releasing

Default Advice on releasing

I have 2 eastern grey squirrels that are about 4 months old. I believe it’s time to release them. They are getting aggressive with us handling them and each other. Of course they can be sweet at times but they are wild animals and belong in the wild. We’ve had them since they were roughly just a week old, they fell from their nest. As sad as it is, we are ready to release and give them the life they deserve. I was wondering what is the best way to release them where they’re not in shock and whatnot. We’ve been putting them outside in their cage for a hour or so.

Default Re: Advice on releasing

And also I don’t plan on releasing them in my yard because I do have a bird dog who loves to chase birds and squirrels. I would love to release in the woods near my house where no dogs are nor houses. Right now they sleep in a gourd with a fleece blanket. They seem to know how to make a nest because I bought some twine balls for them to play with and they have destroyed them of course and put it in their bed. They currently eat plenty of veggies and LOVE the Henry’s Healthy Blocks- they fight over them.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bryanleo from:

RockyPops (06-05-2020)

If you’re not releasing in your yard then it would be a hard release. I have no experience with this because I’ve always done soft releases.

Have they been outside in their cage, with a roof on it, for multiple days and nights so they can get used to the sights and sounds? Are you going to provide any type of shelter or food for them once you release them at your chosen sight? Having these questions answered will help folks direct you.

I hope others that may have done this before will chime in.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (06-05-2020)

They’ve only been outside during the day for a hour max. They have escaped out of the cage before outside. I would definitely leave food out when I release them and maybe their gourd. I just don’t know the best way to release them. I definitely want to. I’ve done my part in the nursing and raising them. I just want to give them the life they deserve, plus they are becoming a lot to take care of now.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bryanleo from:

RockyPops (06-05-2020)

Squirrels do not do well (low survival rate) with a hard release. Here is a thread about soft releasing squirrels:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-How-to-Sticky

What part of GA are you located?

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

island rehabber (06-06-2020), RockyPops (06-05-2020)

The concept of a soft release is a way to give them the least shock as you are seeking to do. Basically, they are put into a cage outside in the location where they will be set free later; the cage is big enough for them to move around in well since they will be confined for a few weeks, and that is completely safe from predators. They stay in this cage for several weeks so that they can see 24/7 what is going on, cats, hawks, weather, other squirrels. They get to observe and learn about their new home while staying safe and being fed all they need daily.

Then a small portal is opened on this cage and they can go out and explore, but still return to this safe place until they establish a home permanently outside. They are continued to be brought some food at this stage. The portal hole must be small so the squirrel can come and go, and no predators can get inside.

This is the least shock to a squirrel thus it is called a soft release. This is easiest to do in ones own backyard, or a site prepared for this purpose. Maybe you could find a rehabber to do this for you.

If you must put them in your local woods, it would make sense to hang their gourd in the best safest place possible. Bring food to them every day. Visit them and check in on them as often as you can would be a compromise. It will be a shock to them, and they'll have to navigate the dangers of the area without knowing anything about it. But they are squirrels, they will do their best. You have done the lovely kind service of raising them, each of us has to find our own way to release. There have been squirrels that have run off in the middle of being released and they have made it, so a hard release is not terrible, it just has its issues. Hope that helps.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lighten-Up from:

RockyPops (06-08-2020)

Please if u can do u have a friend that can let u release n their yard. Preferably close so u can drive there 2 times a day. In the beginning u keep them in the cage for a couple days. A shaded covered cage with a door that can lock. Cut a long hole in the hardware cloth for wire so there arms amd legs dont get caught n bats. The hole should be the height amd width of a cookie sheet. U make there food 2 times a day amd slide the cookie sheet out to fill in for them to eat. A experienced rehabber can advise on the the amt of days for first step. Of course a big water bottle with fresh water 2 times a day. Then after the recommended amount of days u can come feed amd water open door in am so they can explore amd they will go back to their nest box with their things that smell comfortable to them. Reminds them of hime. No cloth or cotton if it gets wet as mold grows quick amd causes sickness. If they r flyers , but I dont think they r; because they sleep n the day their breath can cause condensation and mold quicker.

After 2 weeks possibably u will go to cage and notice they are only coming for food amd possible have a nest near by. At the location of the soft release cage on a safe tree nail a board for a shelf to continue with food everyday then start weaning them from food everyday . Start with every other then every 2 then every 3 and so on. After 10 days of last step go there a couple times a week and put out hard shell nuts amd food. Also while in the cage now or at soft release provide a bowl of water for them to learn 2 lap out of. Hopefully they r already sipping water from a bowl. Continue to provide water every day if u can. Dehydration n summer months can kill quick if u arent getting rain.

I may have missed a few steps. And please will a rehabber provide proper age for release as i am not concrete certain.

Sincerely mary r.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ozzy2019 from:

RockyPops (06-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Squirrels do not do well (low survival rate) with a hard release. Here is a thread about soft releasing squirrels:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-How-to-Sticky

What part of GA are you located?
    Middle Georgia

I would love to release them in my yard and do a soft release but my neighbors have several dogs that do not stay in their yard... I have a bird dog that chases wild life but he hasn’t bothered these 2 yet. I want to do whatever is easiest for them. They definitely need to be in the wild because they are becoming wild lol. If anyone knows a rehabber in Middle Georgia let me know. They are 2 eastern grey squirrels, Loretta and Conway. If not, I will start this weekend on building an outside cage. Do I need something like chicken wire or will they chew through that? Any suggestions please. I will check out that thread about soft releases. I feel like I’ve done the hard part, raising and nursing them. But I feel like now it’s time to let them go. We just got a new kitten and 2 cats and a dog is enough.
    Ps: the cats can’t get to the squirrels!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bryanleo from:

RockyPops (06-10-2020)

Reach out to Spanky or Javarat in a private message. They live in your neck of the woods and might be able to release for you.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (06-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by bryanleo View Post
    If not, I will start this weekend on building an outside cage. Do I need something like chicken wire or will they chew through that? Any suggestions please.
    Do not use chicken wire! You'll want to use hardware cloth with 1/2" openings.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

RockyPops (06-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Do not use chicken wire! You'll want to use hardware cloth with 1/2" openings.
    Ok, thank you. I’ve been doing research on building one.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bryanleo from:

RockyPops (06-10-2020)

Y’all would it be easier on them if I was the one doing the soft releasing instead of finding a rehabber to do it for me? They don’t like other people, half the time they barely like me lol. I can set the release cage on a part of my yard where my dog can’t get to and it’s shaded.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bryanleo from:

RockyPops (06-10-2020)

That would probably be ideal, but you want to give them a couple weeks in the release cage before releasing. How old are they? Make sure your dog can’t annoy them while they’re in the release cage.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (06-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    That would probably be ideal, but you want to give them a couple weeks in the release cage before releasing. How old are they? Make sure your dog can’t annoy them while they’re in the release cage.
    We found them in early February and they were bout 5 or so days old. So they’re about 4 months now. And yes my dog will not be able to get to them. And is this time of year good to release them?

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bryanleo from:

RockyPops (06-10-2020)

Yes, after they spend a couple of weeks in a release cage getting used to the sights, sounds and smells of the outdoors they should be ready to go. Pay attention to how they’re acting. Sometimes it takes a few days of being in the release cage before they even feel safe enough to venture around the cage.

Make your release cage with a little 3x3” door for them to leave from and return through if they want to once released. You should continue to put food in the release cage for them if they return and have a nest box in there for them to sleep in. I put two nest boxes in my release cage so they can get their scent in both of them and then move one up to a nearby tree so they have a ready made home if they decide to use it.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (06-10-2020)

And build your release cage as large as you can accommodate and can afford. The more room to run the better. Taller is also good.

And while it's hard to keep them locked up, every day they stay inside and safe is a day where they mature a little, grow a little more physically and mentally, and learn a little from the environment around them which then gives them a better chance at success when they do go outside.

Thanks for caring for them!