Thread: Body Swollen, discharge in eyes, lethargic, unsteady and wobbly

Question Body Swollen, discharge in eyes, lethargic, unsteady and wobbly

I have a 4 year old, female eastern Grey who is very sick. Her whole body is swollen, she has a discharge at the corner of her eyes, very very lethargic, loss of appetite and when she does try to eat when she holds her food very wobbly on her feet.

At first I thought maybe MBD, so I have been giving her Tums mixed with coconut milk. It doesn’t seem to be making much of a difference. Her liter mate is fine and they have the same diet, also I don’t think swelling is a symptom of MBD.

She doesn’t have any visible wounds or making any noises like she is in pain. I have seen her pee and poop is normal.

I have had them since they were one week old.
    I transitioned them from inside the house to a huge aviary in my back yard. They live in the aviary they are tame to the point. They eat from my hand and climb on me when I’m inside the aviary but will not let me pick them up. There is a vet in my area that sees squirrels but because I can’t pick them up he won’t see them. I have some Cipro, and Amoxicillin but I have no way to weigh them.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to momest95 from:

RockyPops (06-03-2020)

Default Re: Body Swollen, discharge in eyes, lethargic, unsteady and wobbly

When you say swelling.. I guess you mean her stomach is overly large and lumpy looking?
    This could be abdominal fluid build up from failing kidneys or heart, or internal hemoraging.
    My initial fears would be kidney failure, or poisoning.
    It sounds like she is in very bad shape, possibly close to death, and you really need to catch her with either a towel or net, and transport her to the vet.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

RockyPops (06-03-2020)

Her whole body is swollen not just abdominal, I have seen her peeing 2 now looks normal. I have spoken with the vet and they will not see her they said because I cannot handle her.

She never leaves the aviary, she can’t it’s enclosed so how would it be poison? I have Cipro 500 mg and amoxicillin clavulanate 875/125 but don’t have a way to weigh her.
    I tried to get a picture of her tonight to send but she wouldn’t cone out of her box.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to momest95 from:

RockyPops (06-03-2020)

Also when she is in upright position her breasts look swollen and she has rolls around stomach area

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to momest95 from:

RockyPops (06-03-2020)

Momest, I sent you a Private Message about vets in Florida.
    It will show up under Notifications in the top right corner of your screen.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

RockyPops (06-03-2020)

I hope one of the vets Javarat sent you was Dr. Emerson in Port Orange. I don’t think Dr. Emerson would have an issue with you not being able to handle her. She would find a way to examine her. She has helped many wild squirrels that couldn’t be easily handled, either. You are a little more than an hour away from Dr. Emerson’s office by heading east on I-4. Dr. Emerson is one of the best squirrel vets in the country. I think you should get her in to be evaluated by her. The office is Ravenwood Vet Clinic 386-788-1550.

I do know of several other vets in the Orlando area that work with a rehab organization and treat various wildlife, but have never used any of them.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (06-03-2020), RockyPops (06-03-2020)