Thread: New Squirrel Mum Needs a Bit of Advice!

Default New Squirrel Mum Needs a Bit of Advice!

Hi everyone!

I've been browsing the forum for a while but this is my first time posting.
    I found a baby squirrel on April 1st and from what I could tell she was a week old at the time.
    Now she's approaching 10 weeks and I have a few questions.

She was taking formula perfectly fine until about a week ago when she just stopped being interested. I introduced her to rodent blocks as her first food when her eyes opened, but I made the mistake of spoiling her a bit with nuts until I came across the info on MBD and how they leech calcium.
    Now she doesn't seem to be eating the blocks like she should, and with her refusing formula I'm a little worried.

I just ordered three packages of Henry's blocks (picky, wild bites, and high protein) and they should be here in a couple days. I tried finding a similar supplier in Canada but there don't seem to be any. Henry's was expeeeeeeensive!!! But it's worth it, or so I've read.

So once they come in hopefully she'll take to them, but in the meantime I can't help but be worried. She hasn't had any symptoms of MBD, she's incredibly active, and is super friendly.

Just looking for a little more advice on how to give her the best care!

Thanks so much!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to AryasMum from:

RockyPops (05-31-2020)

Default Re: New Squirrel Mum Needs a Bit of Advice!

Oh! I should also mention that she's an Eastern grey squirrel, and she weighs about 300g!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to AryasMum from:

RockyPops (05-31-2020)

Have you offered veggies from the healthy squirrel diet? HealthyDietJan2014.pdf You may have to implement the tough love tactic. If a squirrel has healthy food to choose from and doesn’t get nuts or treats, it will eventually eat the good stuff. It won’t starve itself to death. Be strong.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

AryasMum (06-01-2020), RockyPops (06-01-2020)

You can order good blocks for squirrels from Flowertown Chinchilla - they're located in Brampton, Ontario. What you wanat to order are the engage-Harlan 201805 (or 201810 - the last 2 digits indicate the quantity in lbs). My guys prefer the 2019 but will eat the 2018; the 2019 are special order and only seem to come in 33lbs bag. I use those because I have many NRs. I don't know if they'd sell them in smaller bags. Here is the link:
    https://www.chinchilla.ca/product.php?catID=7&menuID=1

You'll have to use the tough love. You could remove all the food that was left at night and leave nothing but blocks in the bowl. They do get hungry in the middle of the night, and that way if your sweetie wants a snack there will be only blocks available. Also, feeding a bit later in the morning forces them to eat the blocks if they wake up hungry. I would take away all fruit and nuts during the re-adaptation to blocks. Stick to only good veggies and blocks. Sounds harsh, I know, but your darling will not let starvation take over... Hold up your end.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -