Thread: Metronidazole dose for baby coons

Default Metronidazole dose for baby coons

I hope it was ok to post this here? I know many of you work with coons and others . My rehabber I am helping has several sick baby coons ranging 1-3# that have symptoms of parvo, but her vet could not test because they were recently vaccinated. They ruled out coccidia and parasites. They have been wormed and have had two sets of shots. Her vet prescribed metronidazole for one baby but she has about 30 symptomatic babies to treat. I had donated her some 500mg tabs a few weeks ago. Could these be crushed and diluted to empirically treat all the sick ones ? I wish I had more info ( ages, etc) but if think this would be worth a try, could someone tell me how to dose them? Thank you so much!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

Scooterzmom (05-29-2020)

Default Re: Metronidazole dose for baby coons

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    I hope it was ok to post this here? I know many of you work with coons and others . My rehabber I am helping has several sick baby coons ranging 1-3# that have symptoms of parvo, but her vet could not test because they were recently vaccinated. They ruled out coccidia and parasites. They have been wormed and have had two sets of shots. Her vet prescribed metronidazole for one baby but she has about 30 symptomatic babies to treat. I had donated her some 500mg tabs a few weeks ago. Could these be crushed and diluted to empirically treat all the sick ones ? I wish I had more info ( ages, etc) but if think this would be worth a try, could someone tell me how to dose them? Thank you so much!

I'm sending you the info this way, SmugMug won't let me copy it and send a pm.
    This is from the WMB book.

Name:  Scan.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  83.9 KB

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Snicker Bar (05-30-2020)

Default Re: Metronidazole dose for baby coons

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Parvo is extremely contagious and requires diligent sanitization on all accessible surfaces to keep it from continuing to spread, even after the babies are released. I’m sure your rehabber knows what she’s doing, but a raccoon rehabber I’ve dealt with in Florida had Parvo in her release area and dosed numerous vaccines and had raccoons dying from the vaccine overload. Sensitivity to vaccines is a concern for raccoons. With that said, Dr. E doesn’t recommend any vaccines. I prefer to give vaccines, but am cautious about spacing them many days apart.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Snicker Bar (05-31-2020)