Thread: Need help degloved tail

Default Need help degloved tail

U have another open post for this but i am not a tec person. This page is not easy for a computer illiterate to navigate and operate. Short story as a baby she degloved an inch or less took time tje bone eventually came off and the skin grew bulbus around it and fur returned but it was always sensitive for her. Than tje exact same injury happened total accident she pulled the skin of almost an inch and it still hasnt healed. I monitor it everyday and it hurts her so bad. The bone still hasnt fallen off when i touched it to clean it it started to bleed again and she was so scared screaming for my help. Its bulbis with tje bone protruting. It broke in halfe but is still hanging on there. It only bothers her when we clean it or touch it. With this much time going by should i just take some nail clippers and remove it as safely as possible or what should i do. I posted tje pictures on the other post if they need ro be seen. Thank you.
    Every footprint in this world matters.

Default Re: Need help degloved tail

Please if u can post a pic for the admins to help you. I knows this site is hard 2 navigate but under forum theres a link to how to post anpic. I am always up early but a admin will respond amd they need a pic amd a possible weight incase they need to instruct u on antibiotics dosing. Wjen u start a post scroll down to attachments. Hit attach then choose file . Your phone should offer u a choice of where to find your pictures on it find that choice then touch the picture then hit the upload button on the page you will see a blue wheel spin for a few sec then hit insert in line 1 amd u should see your pic when u hit preview post. If it's there then hit post.

Sincerely mary r

Josh, a recent pic would really help. In the meantime, a much easier, better way to maintain the wound:

Go to the drug store into the wound care aisle and buy a bottle of 10% povidone iodine solution. The brand name is Betadyne but feel free to buy the store brand version - they are the same thing. Add 20 or so drops of the povidone iodine to 1/4 cup water. You can actually dip the tip of the tail into the solution you have made (if you make it with warm water it will be less noticeable to them) or you can soak some up in a cotton ball and squeeze it out over the tail tip - the idea is to totally wet the sore place with the solution, and just leave it to dry naturally. It is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal so it covers a bunch of problems, and it does not burn AT ALL. It also doesn't leave a noticeable residue like creams and salves which will attract their attention and they will fuss with it. It just disappears. Do it several times a day. This will take care of any infection without causing any additional problems.

Somewhere in her environment there may be a "pinch point" that she keeps getting onto someplace that her tail flops into, but it narrows down so that it catches her tail. Their immediate reaction to feeling it restrained is to yank it. Cage bars are notorious for doing this, especially where the side panels meet each other. Any place smaller than about 3/8" can be a pinch point. You can take a long piece of fleece and wrap it around and around to close the spot off, you can wrap it with vet wrap, but you need to either OPEN if far enough so that it doesn't catch anymore or you must CLOSE it off so the tail can flop in there. I build my own cages and enclosures and I spend as much time trying to avoid pinch points as I do trying to design them for maximum squirrel fun.

I would NOT cut this off - that will hurt a lot. I think if you keep it very clean and treated with the diluted povidone iodine which will allow you to stop actually touching it, and make sure that she doesn't have some spot where she is re-injuring it, this will resolve itself.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Josh and ninja (09-17-2021), Mel1959 (05-30-2020)

Thank you. After i reposted we had a drastic change for the best. I sent u a private message about it. Ive been using the badodine withatouch of epsonsalt likei used when sheripped out her claw and itsbeen helping. The degloved section popped off while cleaning and she is 100percent better and healing. Thank you so much.
    Off topic though i couldnt find much info onthis. I was eating babyback pork ribs friday night and she stole oneof the bones and has been chewingit. And hiding it. She wont give it back will itharm her. I read in the wilderness they eat small bones for calcium.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Josh and ninja from:

RockyPops (06-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh and ninja View Post
    Thank you. After i reposted we had a drastic change for the best. I sent u a private message about it. Ive been using the badodine withatouch of epsonsalt likei used when sheripped out her claw and itsbeen helping. The degloved section popped off while cleaning and she is 100percent better and healing. Thank you so much.
    Off topic though i couldnt find much info onthis. I was eating babyback pork ribs friday night and she stole oneof the bones and has been chewingit. And hiding it. She wont give it back will itharm her. I read in the wilderness they eat small bones for calcium.
    The only thing I would do is retrieve it and replace it with fresh - you don't want her chewing on an old one because of all the bacteria. And yes, they do eat small bones, birds eggs including the shell, and there is a good reason why you don't constantly stumble over shed deer antlers!

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Josh and ninja (09-17-2021), RockyPops (06-01-2020)

Hey guys its been a while hope all is well i found my old post to look for the pictures i uploaded but couldnt seem to find them. After you all helped me and a local vet call iodine and epson salts eventualy the dead part degloved fell off but ever since than she has had a bulbous tip to her tail. Its always sensative but today i grazed it and it seemed to hurt her. I had to wrap her in a blanket just to try and inspect tail. Skin color grey as usual but bulbous possibly bigger than before. Could it be life threatening could it be like a cyst? I dont know. Covid interveined with me being a legal wildlife rehaber so in massachusetts she will be taken and killed so im currently still a squirrel rescuing criminal in there eyes and tou guys are my only link to help her.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The only thing I would do is retrieve it and replace it with fresh - you don't want her chewing on an old one because of all the bacteria. And yes, they do eat small bones, birds eggs including the shell, and there is a good reason why you don't constantly stumble over shed deer antlers!
    I cant find the original photos of injury but like i said it fell off she healed no infection. But the bulbous tip seems realy tender now and im worried. Why are we treated like criminals for saving squirrels? If the choose to be with us and we choose to be with them why does it matter. So frustrating.