Thread: Adult Male Squirrel with back leg paralysis found

Unhappy Adult Male Squirrel with back leg paralysis found

Yesterday while walking outside I found an adult male on the ground next to a utility pole. He was dragging his back legs and clearly either suffered a fall or possible shock from chewing wires. I brought him home and he’s housed in a cardboard box with one of my hoodies that he sleeps in the hood of, and I’ve given him some room temp water since yesterday since I’m in Florida and the summer heat might have dehydrated him. I don’t know his weight so I’m unable to give him any children’s liquid pain reliever or metacam. He doesn’t respond to any poking or prodding of his back legs or feet, so I’m pretty sure he is paralyzed from the waist down. But I’m also no expert on what to feel for as far as his little tiny spine goes. And I’m afraid of hurting him. He will not eat any veggies or nuts I put near him or hand him, but he does readily drink the water from the syringe. He’s able to relieve himself but I’m not sure if he has any actual control over his bowel or urine movements. I have raised an orphan baby that I found and released several years ago, but I’m not equipped to handle this. Especially not now that my job is still closed due to lockdowns and I’m financially strapped. I’m afraid to take him to the SPCA or regular vet because I’m worried they may just euthanize him without trying to help him. But I’m equally as worried that he may be in pain and suffering. Does anyone have any advice?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Georgie87 from:

RockyPops (05-27-2020)

Default Re: Adult Male Squirrel with back leg paralysis found

Where in Florida are you located?

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Rocky1 (05-29-2020), RockyPops (05-27-2020)