Thread: Young Eastern Chipmunk with possible head injury

Exclamation Young Eastern Chipmunk with possible head injury

Hello,

Three days ago I looked up from my chair on my deck to see a small chipmunk struggling to walk. He allowed me to pick him up and upon further inspection, I noticed no apparent injuries although his head had a significant tilt.

I have been trying to locate a rehabber in my area and even with the help of my local vet have been unsuccessful.

He has been eating and drinking well, poops and pees regularly, and even bathes himself although he has a difficult time maintaining his balance. He sleeps often, but when he is walking, tends to end up going in circles.

I have weighed him at 42 grams. Without a rehabber to prescribe him any medication, what can I do to care for him?

Also, can anyone guess his age based on his weight? He appears to be an adolescent but I'm wondering if he should still be receiving formula to supplement his diet.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Linnes from:

RockyPops (05-27-2020)

Default Re: Young Eastern Chipmunk with possible head injury

Where in Ontario are you? Can you drive? I'm near the border of Ontario and Québec.

The syptoms indicate a head trauma. Can you post a pic, preferably next to some object we can compare to? It would give us a better idea for the age. Can you get your hands on some Prednisone, or Meloxicam?
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

RockyPops (05-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    Where in Ontario are you? Can you drive? I'm near the border of Ontario and Québec.

The syptoms indicate a head trauma. Can you post a pic, preferably next to some object we can compare to? It would give us a better idea for the age. Can you get your hands on some Prednisone, or Meloxicam?
    Name:  IMG_20200527_182615.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  79.7 KBName:  IMG_20200527_182557.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  85.4 KB

I'm in Grey County. Unfortunately, I don't know if I can access prednisone or meloxicam although I can ask around. I didn't get the impression from the vet that she would be willing to prescribe anything either, although I didn't ask outright.

Hopefully I have attached these pictures correctly and you can get a sense of size. He was difficult to keep still.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Linnes from:

RockyPops (05-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Linnes View Post
    Name:  IMG_20200527_182615.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  79.7 KBName:  IMG_20200527_182557.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  85.4 KB

I'm in Grey County. Unfortunately, I don't know if I can access prednisone or meloxicam although I can ask around. I didn't get the impression from the vet that she would be willing to prescribe anything either, although I didn't ask outright.

Hopefully I have attached these pictures correctly and you can get a sense of size. He was difficult to keep still.
    I just wanted to add that he has some swelling on the top of his front right paw between his last two fingers. I'm not sure if there is a break or dislocation. Is there anything I can do for this? Infant Motrin (I've been giving 2 drops 4 times per day) seems to be helping with the swelling somewhat.

Upon closer inspection, I don't believe this little guy has a break in his front paw afterall. Could this be a cyst?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's another view of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just providing an update. I was finally able to get this guy to a rehabber. The drive was a few hours long but we made it. At the time we dropped him off he was helping himself to a bowl of seed we had given him and seemed to be doing well.

Sadly, this afternoon I received notice from the centre that he had died from a seizure. He hadn't had a seizure to our knowledge the entire time he was with us (8 days).

I'm feeling some serious guilt about bringing him there now. Could this have been caused by the stress of traveling? He had some ailments but I wasn't expecting him to die so suddenly like this.

Has anyone had any experiences that are similar to this? I really feel like had we not taken him, he would still be alive today.