Thread: Adding yogurt to fox valley

Default Adding yogurt to fox valley

Hi. I’ve read in here in a few threads about adding yogurt to the fox valley formula because it help me with gut flora. My little guy hasn’t been pooping regular, he had bloody poops when I got him, then diarrhea, now I’ve got it mostly solid but it’s kind of long and creamy and he poops a lot at a time.
    I’d like to try to add some yogurt and see if that helps? How much yogurt should I add? Or is there something else I should be doing instead?
    He’s a red, about 5 weeks and today he weighed 63g this morning. I think he’s been gaining weight ok, but his poops aren’t right yet. I give him plain water in the morning then I go on his regular feeding schedule about an hour after
    I read about adding the ultra boost for weight gain, is there something else I can add that would also help with weight gain?
    Thank you!

Default Re: Adding yogurt to fox valley

I use both of those things in my formula. Ultraboost works well. I have never had an issue with it causing diarrhea. When mixing up formula you just substitute 25% of the FV 20/50 powder for the Ultraboost powder and add the normal amount of water.

I add full fat vanilla yogurt to my formula. I’ve never measured it but I’d estimate I add about 1/2 to 1 tsp. per cup of formula.

I’d suggest try adding the yogurt first and see if you can get the diarrhea completely under control before adding the Ultraboost.

Is there a smell to the stool? Anything out of the ordinary about it?

I have also heard wonderful things about a product made by Fox Valley called Diastat. It helps control diarrhea and can be purchased from Henrys Pets.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (05-26-2020), island rehabber (05-27-2020)

I’ll do that with the yogurt. I just picked some up. His last two poops were still a little weird and he’s pooping big poops. Instead of one pellet it’s coming out in big chunks. It doesn’t seem to have a smell. I’m giving him water (3cc) once a day, the last two days, because he wasn’t pooping and I think he was constipated?Other than his pooping he looks pretty good I think.....or at least good compared to what it’s been. I extended his feeding times to every four hours, because he should be nearing five weeks. Ill add pictures this time of the poops he’s having now, and what he looks like
    Attached Images Attached Images   

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nell:

Chirps (05-28-2020), Mel1959 (05-27-2020), Nancy in New York (05-27-2020), RockyPops (05-27-2020)

Ultra Boost and DiaStat, in my opinion, are miracle products no rehabber should be without. I raise my baby squirrels on 3 parts Esbilac, 1 part UltraBoost and have zero problems of any kind with their GI systems. Later I transition to FV 20/50 but STILL one part UltraBoost added. Wonderful stuff.

May I just point out that Nell, if you truly are in North Pole Alaska, and Mel in Southeast Florida having a conversation here is the best example of Why I Love the Internet that I've ever seen? You two couldn't be further apart and still both be in the USA -- helping a little red squirrel. I love it.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (05-28-2020), Mel1959 (05-27-2020), Nancy in New York (05-27-2020), RockyPops (05-27-2020), Scooterzmom (05-27-2020)

I wonder... how often to you feed the lil one? How much at a time? His stolls seem kind of light colored, which makes me wonder about the frequency and amount of the feedings.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Nancy in New York (05-27-2020), RockyPops (05-27-2020)

Yes, I really am in North Pole Alaska! I was advised to join this page by the lady that runs Henry’s heathy pets in Virginia and I thought that was pretty cool to have someone so far away being so helpful, now it’s happening on this board too, it really is awesome. We don’t have any rehabbers here, so I really appreciate all the advise coming from all over the country.
    I’m going to order the ultra boost, I already added the yogurt to the last batch of formula, and his stools still were not great, but he did start go on his own today and that’s a first, I do still stimulate though, after each feeding just in case he needs it.
    I’m feeding him 5% of his weight every 4 hours....that’s the standard guideline I saw in a few places for a squirrel his age. And i think it said up to 7% of weight per feeding. But I’ve been sticking to 5%. Should I be doing it differently? At his last feeding he was 69grams and I gave him 3.5cc of formula. He’s not having any “night” feedings anymore, so his last feeding at night and the first feeding in the morning is about 6-7 hours apart

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nell from:

Chirps (05-28-2020)

Yes, I’m really in southeast, Florida! Very cool that we are so far apart, but united in helping your little guy.

It sounds like you’re doing everything right. For runny stools a drop of pepto bismal can help, but if his aren’t runny, I don’t think I’d use it. Hopefully, the yogurt will begin to make a difference.

The 5-7% rule is pretty standard. Over feeding can cause loose stool, but if you’re sticking to 5% then we know that’s not the cause. Once his soft stool subsides, and he’s bigger, most squirrels will want to eat more than 7%. It’s ok for them to do this, but the increase needs to be gradual so the stool doesn’t loosen.

He’s lucky to have you helping him. Does he have a name?

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (05-28-2020), Scooterzmom (05-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Nell View Post
    Yes, I really am in North Pole Alaska! I was advised to join this page by the lady that runs Henry’s heathy pets in Virginia and I thought that was pretty cool to have someone so far away being so helpful, now it’s happening on this board too, it really is awesome. We don’t have any rehabbers here, so I really appreciate all the advise coming from all over the country.
    I’m going to order the ultra boost, I already added the yogurt to the last batch of formula, and his stools still were not great, but he did start go on his own today and that’s a first, I do still stimulate though, after each feeding just in case he needs it.
    I’m feeding him 5% of his weight every 4 hours....that’s the standard guideline I saw in a few places for a squirrel his age. And i think it said up to 7% of weight per feeding. But I’ve been sticking to 5%. Should I be doing it differently? At his last feeding he was 69grams and I gave him 3.5cc of formula. He’s not having any “night” feedings anymore, so his last feeding at night and the first feeding in the morning is about 6-7 hours apart
    Once you get to "know" your little ones habits, you will feel more comfortable going up some.
    Does he appear hungry after feeding the 5%? If so, offer more, but do so slowly, making
    small amounts you increase it to. Meaning, go up to 4 cc's for a few feedings. If he accepts that
    with no problem you can increase it more for a few feedings, and so on. Never force him to take more.
    (I know you won't)
    Just watch for a hard tummy. It should feel like a water
    balloon after he's done eating, not hard. If diarrhea occurs, back off the additional feedings,
    if it lasts more than 2 times.
    I good link/discussion on the 5%-7% rule of thumb.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...highlight=rule
    Reds are my absolute favorite!

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...?18063-Jeffrey

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (05-28-2020), Mel1959 (05-28-2020)

Yes, he has a name. We call him “Flower”. Like the skunk in Bambi. I have 3 kids, all 4years old and under, so Disney is their life😂
    I’ll keep with the 5% rule until his stools are better. He hasn’t gone yet today, so I don’t have an update on how that’s going. He’s been going twice a day. The last couple days, usually mid day, then at night. Last night it was still the same consistency as before. I’m hoping that his problems are all from the initial bloody stool and then diarrhea, and maybe those combined just really messed up his gut flora. I’m really hoping the yogurt helps with that.
    I’ve been paying very close attention for bloat just because he’s having other tummy issues. So far he’s not an problems with it thankfully

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nell:

Mel1959 (05-28-2020), RockyPops (05-28-2020)