Thread: not a squirrel, but still need assistance...

Default not a squirrel, but still need assistance...

i have a little mockingbird here that a lady found in her backyard... siblings are dead, and the nest was too high to put baby back... from what i can tell, it’s a fledgling... not a lot of flight feathers, and little to no tail feathers, but they’re on their way for sure... i don’t mind taking care of him, but i’m not that experienced in hand rearing songbirds.... i did manage to get a little bit of a wild bird formula mix that i found on the internet into him tho.... maybe one cc....

mix included:
    - 2 tbsp kitten chow, softened with water and mashed
    - 1/4 boiled egg yolk
    1/2 tsp unsweetened applesauce
    water to thin

i didn’t want to over feed him first thing since it’s a new diet.... i do have experience having and handling birds, just not hand raising them... i contacted the songbird rehabber in my area, but unfortunately she is full and cannot take him.... so, it looks like this little guy is stuck with me... obviously, i don’t mind, but i want to be sure i’m doing things correctly.... as for cages, i have a poop ton of cages, so no worries there... i also have a large release cage that i used for squirrels that has an earth floor, so it might be suitable as a release cage.... however, any other advice y’all can give would be helpful... i don’t mean to make this little guy my birdie “guinea pig”, but fate has brought us together, and i want to make the best of it...

Name:  23499E45-8259-4FFE-ADCC-ADD827C9C59F.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  66.2 KB

Default Re: not a squirrel, but still need assistance...

There is a place in Montreal Canada that is considered among the best in the world for bird rescue and conservation; they're the ones the authorities called in for the massive rescues with the giant oil spill in the Gulf. They can be reached, by phone or email, and I'm sure they'll be happy to help you/guide you, I'm sure. They've been doing it for over 20 years.

Here is the link, and you can reach them from there: https://lenichoir.org/reach-us/
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

cleolovelee (05-24-2020)

Default Re: not a squirrel, but still need assistance...

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    There is a place in Montreal Canada that is considered among the best in the world for bird rescue and conservation; they're the ones the authorities called in for the massive rescues with the giant oil spill in the Gulf. They can be reached, by phone or email, and I'm sure they'll be happy to help you/guide you, I'm sure. They've been doing it for over 20 years.

Here is the link, and you can reach them from there: https://lenichoir.org/reach-us/
    i contacted them via their website... hopefully they’ll get back to me soon.. many thanks!! ❤️