Thread: Help on giving liquid meds!!!

Unhappy Help on giving liquid meds!!!

Any tips to giving a squirrel liquid drops that he absolutely hates. I've tried giving him watermelon which he loves & putting drops in when he bites it but he's got wise & cannot get close to him with the syringe. Need help!!!

Default Re: Help on giving liquid meds!!!

How much are you trying to give? When I calculate doses I will manipulate the concentration of the suspension so that the volume is small. I don’t want to ever have to give a squirrel a half mL or more.
    When the the volume is small, they can be burrito wrapped and the small amount is blasted into the corner of the mouth. A drop of syrup or honey on the tip of the syringe helps. I don’t mix drugs in juices because that just increases the amount given. Some antibiotics are pretty foul tasting. Baytril, Ciprofloxacin and Clindamycin are especially bad.

It is .25 ml of amoxicillin. The pharmacist made it bubble gum flavor & he watches my hand everytime I go near him. He absolutely hates the flavor. I will try a little honey on it but I doubt he'll go for it. Thanks for the suggestion!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to summer2818 from:

Scooterzmom (05-23-2020)

You might want to try dipping the tip of the syringe in maple syrup, or pull in one teeny tiny drop, so as to block the smell of the meds. Maple syrup is a flavor they like, and that could make him latch onto the syringe at least. Then it's just a squirt for you.

Making a burrito of the lil guy and covering his eyes would help also.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Thank you for the suggestions!! I will certainly try this. He's too smart for his own good!