Thread: We saw off a dear friend today...

Default We saw off a dear friend today...

Please read. Anything more I could have done for her??

This is not "my" squirrel. But this certainly IS the squirrel who got me my squirrel. Today we laid to rest our precious Boo-Boo. We've been treating squirrels and other wildlife as our beloved neighbors for over a decade now. But she was the first one who started actually coming into our home almost daily for the last two years to enjoy a snack with us. You may remember all the pics and videos I used to post about Boo-Boo the guitar/bass/drum playing squirrel....well, this was her. That very footage is what caught the attention a wildlife refuge who then gifted us with our squirrel. So Boo-Boo was solely to thank for rounding out our family. She survived hot summers, freezing winters, many a car, and just lately have birth to a few small babies of her own...which we pray will continue visiting us. She never let us pet her, but just today brought us a gift to our window...a beautiful stone she picked out...special for us. And to receive a token of gratitude from a wild animal is of the utmost of gifts. Soon after, we saw a squirrel violently convulsing about 100 ft away from our home...but right in front of it. We ran to it's side to try and help....and it was her. She finally let us pet her, we cried over her, and tried our best to help her...but failed as she gasped and took her last breath right before us. Off to the side and near her home tree....fresh city rat bait poison eaten.
    THIS is what that stuff does, folks. It kills animals that were here before us. It leaves babies with no parents, and breaks the hearts of people who care about them. Rather than poison everything, efforts need to be made to clean things up first. We collected ourselves, gathered her guitar and things which she kept beside our front door, and saw her off. This animal literally changed our lives forever. I hope to see her again, someday....

Name:  IMG_5730.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  70.8 KB

2. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to strdsk:

Chirps (05-23-2020), frankc (05-23-2020), RockyPops (05-25-2020), Scooterzmom (05-23-2020), SugarMom (05-23-2020)

Default Re: We saw off a dear friend today...

Oh no! I am devastated to read this. What a senseless death.

Please check with local wildlife officials about the use and placement of poison. It is my understanding that some very strict laws pertain to the types and use of poisons by pest management companies that they have to adhere to in order to maintain their licenses. If the city is placing poison without the proper authority then they can be held accountable.

Im very sorry you have to go through this. Rest In Peace precious Boo Boo.

4. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (05-23-2020), frankc (05-23-2020), HRT4SQRLS (05-24-2020), island rehabber (05-23-2020), RockyPops (05-25-2020), strdsk (05-23-2020)

This is awful. I hate poisoners. Just disgusting.

Complaining about killing wildlife will do zero good - until someone's dog or child gets into it, the city is likely to do nothing. I have always preferred a more direct approach. I would be taking walks while carrying my plastic water bottle like everyone else does...but my water bottle would be filled with motor oil, and when I stumbled over one of these awful poison stations, it would get a lovely drizzle of oil. Don't move it - most of the time a quick visual will be made to determine if it is there. Even a closer look likely won't clue anyone in - new motor oil is clear, but it sticks, and it smells repellent to animals. Even though the bait is made to appeal to them, once it is drenched with motor oil it won't be any longer. But that's just me. You couldn't have done anything to help her, but you can help her friends...

I am so sorry. I have really close relationships with some of my wilds, and I always breathe easier when I spot them each day...

6. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (05-23-2020), frankc (05-23-2020), HRT4SQRLS (05-24-2020), island rehabber (05-23-2020), RockyPops (05-25-2020), Scooterzmom (05-23-2020), strdsk (05-23-2020), SugarMom (05-23-2020)

The loss of your friend made me cry. So very cruel. I am so sorry for your loss. I also have special relationships with the squirrels in my yard.

I have seen the gifting of a special rock or token several times on this board. I believe she knew that her time was short and wanted to give a gift of her thanks and love. That is a treasure you will forever remember and frankly, no one else would understand. They know who has their back and cares for them.

I am just sick over this senseless loss of life.

Rest In Peace precious Boo Boo
    . One day this world will return to the purity and goodness that it created to be.
    Until that time, we mourn the losses of innocent life.

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (05-23-2020), frankc (05-23-2020), island rehabber (05-23-2020), RockyPops (05-25-2020), strdsk (05-23-2020)

I am beyond mad/sad at this senseless killing.

You let Boo-Boo into your heart and she returned that be letting you into her pure, wild heart.

Godspeed gentle Boo-Boo. You were loved and your friends will never forget you.

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Chirps (05-23-2020), frankc (05-23-2020), RockyPops (05-25-2020), strdsk (05-23-2020)

Crying like a baby here....what a senseless murder of a beautiful little life!

I agree, check your local laws..there may be something you can do. CritterMom's idea of motor oil is great.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

12. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (05-23-2020), frankc (05-23-2020), RockyPops (05-25-2020), Scooterzmom (05-23-2020), strdsk (05-23-2020)

Thank you for saving other lives. By respectfully interring Boo-Boos remains you probably saved at least 2 other lives. You saved an owl that would have taken her and a Fox that would have eaten the owl. Poison kills down the entire food chain. Just horrible.

14. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (05-23-2020), frankc (05-23-2020), RockyPops (05-25-2020), Scooterzmom (05-23-2020), strdsk (05-23-2020)

I don't know what to say. I just want to add my condolences. Such an ugly, senseless death. I am sure that such a special friend will be waiting to meet you again one day.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

RockyPops (05-25-2020), strdsk (05-23-2020)

It has been a hard few days. May sound silly, but that animal took a part of my soul with her. Thanks for the love....

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to strdsk:

HRT4SQRLS (05-24-2020), RockyPops (05-25-2020), Scooterzmom (05-23-2020)

I really don't know what I could say to make this loss more bearable to you. I'm in tears here myself at reading your words.

Just remember that you have had the privilege of earning the love and trust of a wild animal, and that is one of the very best gift Creator can offer us. Cherish that gift Boo-Boo brought you, and cherish the memories she left behind in your heart. You have an angel watching over you now.

I do hope her little ones will be OK.

Go with the angels, dear Boo-Boo. You were such a special soul, and now you will never be forgotten.

P.S. There is nothing silly about grieving for an animal. In our Creator's heart they are all as precious as we are. I find it arrogant on mankind's part to think that only humans are worthy of grief. Don't be asham3ed of what you feel for her.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My sweet Scooter, darling Hami, beloved gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, just remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Chirps (05-24-2020), RockyPops (05-25-2020), strdsk (05-23-2020)

Godspeed friendly little squirrel.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

strdsk (05-25-2020)