Thread: New Squirrel Mom

Default New Squirrel Mom

Hello!

Last week I found a young squirrel that had fallen from her nest (unable to to climb back up and the mom never came around) so I took her in and started feeding her puppy formula. She's been doing great!

Today though she started grunting and making noises at me. Is that supposed to be signs of aggression? Is she grumpy because she's still hungry? or something else?

I also do not know how old she is... my guess is she's about 6 weeks! Her ears and eyes are open she's got fur on the underside of her tail. Her bottom teeth are grown in but her top appear to have just broken through. I tried feeding her kale and apple slices but she can't seem to gnaw on that so I give her the formula about 4-5 ml every 4 hours.

I would include pictures but I don’t know how to attach images so you could tell me if i'm off on the age of the squirrel

Thank you!!

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sherby:

MapleRidgesquirrel (05-23-2020), RockyPops (05-22-2020)

Default Re: New Squirrel Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Sherby View Post
    Hello!

Last week I found a young squirrel that had fallen from her nest (unable to to climb back up and the mom never came around) so I took her in and started feeding her puppy formula. She's been doing great!

Today though she started grunting and making noises at me. Is that supposed to be signs of aggression? Is she grumpy because she's still hungry? or something else?

I also do not know how old she is... my guess is she's about 6 weeks! Her ears and eyes are open she's got fur on the underside of her tail. Her bottom teeth are grown in but her top appear to have just broken through. I tried feeding her kale and apple slices but she can't seem to gnaw on that so I give her the formula about 4-5 ml every 4 hours.

I would include pictures but I don’t know how to attach images so you could tell me if i'm off on the age of the squirrel

Thank you!!
    A photograph (one that would also be including the tail) would help us evaluate her age. She might be around 5 or 6 weeks but to be sure. Whichever she is, she should stay on formula until she weans herself arund 10 weeks old. what kind/brand are you giving her? If she is starting to eat solids, try to stick to green veggies for now - a baby who tasted apples and other sweets is not likely to take a liking to broccoli or kale So start her on the green veggies, but most of all she needs to start munching on rodent blocks Henry's Blocks or Teklad 2018; that will help her teething and those are essential supplements for a young squirrel who's being raised in captivity.

Once she has developed a liking to her blocks and green veggies, THEN you can star introducing fruit. No nuts until she's at least 9 or 10 weeks, and even then just one or 2 a day.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

RockyPops (05-22-2020), Sherby (06-02-2020)

Grunting and purring are happy sounds. She may be excited because she is associating you with food which she needed and you are providing!

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

MapleRidgesquirrel (05-23-2020), RockyPops (05-22-2020), Sherby (06-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    A photograph (one that would also be including the tail) would help us evaluate her age. She might be around 5 or 6 weeks but to be sure. Whichever she is, she should stay on formula until she weans herself arund 10 weeks old. what kind/brand are you giving her? If she is starting to eat solids, try to stick to green veggies for now - a baby who tasted apples and other sweets is not likely to take a liking to broccoli or kale So start her on the green veggies, but most of all she needs to start munching on rodent blocks Henry's Blocks or Teklad 2018; that will help her teething and those are essential supplements for a young squirrel who's being raised in captivity.

Once she has developed a liking to her blocks and green veggies, THEN you can star introducing fruit. No nuts until she's at least 9 or 10 weeks, and even then just one or 2 a day.

Thank you so much for the advice! All things google does not tell you! I am giving her petAG milk replacer plus. It was the only thing I could get at grocery store since stores are closed due to corona virus. Also. Is it normal for the pee to smell so bad? Almost like raw seafood.

Name:  7C7C98E0-EF4B-4226-9805-D077B619729F.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  153.7 KBName:  7C7C98E0-EF4B-4226-9805-D077B619729F.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  153.7 KBName:  A94AB01C-73B3-4512-BA86-A7280ED8B41A.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  74.6 KBName:  2247154B-16D5-4DD4-BBBA-519333B81246.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  119.1 KB

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sherby:

MapleRidgesquirrel (05-23-2020), RockyPops (05-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Grunting and purring are happy sounds. She may be excited because she is associating you with food which she needed and you are providing!
    Oh good! Glad I am not making her angry! I appreciate you replying and helping!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sherby from:

RockyPops (05-22-2020)

OMG!!! She's adorable!

The PetAG milk replacer is, well, no good really. At the bottom of my post is a link to baby squirrel care. Click the box at the right side top to go to the next page. Can you order the Fox Valley 20/50? That would be appropriate for her age. There is a temporary goat's milk formula (see link) that will do until you can get the more appropriate formula. You can usually find the ingredients at Walmart.

If you are near a feed store they probably carry Mazuri Rat and Mouse Diet. That would be a suitable block to introduce as a first solid food. She will mostly shred it to crumbs at first. Another block is the Teklad 2018 that Scooterzmom mentioned, but that has to be ordered online. Another option is the Henry's blocks she mentioned, which you can order from the link.

Please keep us posted, and good luck with your baby!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

MapleRidgesquirrel (05-23-2020), RockyPops (05-22-2020), Sherby (06-02-2020)

She is beautiful!

And as far as age, I'd guess 6 to 7 weeks.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

MapleRidgesquirrel (05-23-2020), Sherby (05-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    OMG!!! She's adorable!

The PetAG milk replacer is, well, no good really. At the bottom of my post is a link to baby squirrel care. Click the box at the right side top to go to the next page. Can you order the Fox Valley 20/50? That would be appropriate for her age. There is a temporary goat's milk formula (see link) that will do until you can get the more appropriate formula. You can usually find the ingredients at Walmart.

If you are near a feed store they probably carry Mazuri Rat and Mouse Diet. That would be a suitable block to introduce as a first solid food. She will mostly shred it to crumbs at first. Another block is the Teklad 2018 that Scooterzmom mentioned, but that has to be ordered online. Another option is the Henry's blocks she mentioned, which you can order from the link.

Please keep us posted, and good luck with your baby!

Thank you so much! I know the petAG wasn’t the best but I needed temporary fix! I will get the blocks too! Thank you again!

Name:  ADC19CB3-CB13-4DB7-AFD9-52A50D0F7999.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  78.0 KB

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sherby from:

MapleRidgesquirrel (05-23-2020)