Thread: Concerned about a young squirrel

Default Concerned about a young squirrel

Hi Everybody, I’m not sure if I have cause to be concerned or not but Im writing regarding a young squirrel. I live in Queens, NY so these are grey squirrels. A family of them are currently living in my roof, from what I can tell there are two young ones (not sure how old but maybe less than 10wks?. I’ll include pics) and the parents. This poses its own problems I know, but that’s for another day; the youngsters climb about the front of the house regularly and around my windows, their nest is just above me with the opening being on the inside of the gutter (I live on the second floor of a 2family house).

The other night I noticed the youngsters were chilling on my windowsill, one fell and had a little blood on his nose but they continued to sit there. The Momma was clearly calling for them to return home and eventually started coming down to them, picking at them and at one point she tried to pull one of the babies with her mouth. Both babies then started taking turns going back and forth to the nest or at least the gutter that leads to it. Then the same baby that fell, fell again and mom freaked out. I went out to look for him but he already made it back to the nest by the time I got my flashlight and was outside. I could hear him crying from the nest but the other little dude stayed on my window for the rest of the night and early the next morning. He even was clawing at my window.

Fast forward to now, the little guy goes during the day and then curls up in the corner of the gutter at night, but not before knocking on my window. I don’t know why he doesn’t go back to the nest or why the mom hasn’t come for him. He’s spent one night on my window and two in the gutter and has come to my window every day since and aside from the window visits, I don’t know if this is normal or if intervention is needed. I’m sorry for the long winded story but I wanted to give details Incase something seemingly unimportant actually turns out to be important. Thank you for any and all help

Ps. The stupid pics are sideways and I can’t seem to fix that so apologies on that one
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Bridgit6:

RockyPops (05-19-2020), stepnstone (05-20-2020)

Default Re: Concerned about a young squirrel

For some reason, mamma is rejecting that baby and that can really not end well. If there is any way you can trap him it might be best to have him raised the rest of the way by a rehabber. There are at least two in Queens and I can PM you their contact info. Otherwise you could supplement the little guy with nourishing foods like almonds, apple chunks, fresh greens -- until he is old enough to go off on his own. This could be a month or so -- he looks to be about 8 weeks old. Is there anywhere you can place a nest box that he could easily get into? Poor little one....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Chirps (05-24-2020), Diggie's Friend (05-20-2020), Mel1959 (05-20-2020), stepnstone (05-20-2020)

You can use a nestbox to catch him if you can attached a flat piece of wood attached to slide closed over the opening after he goes into it at night. Place a generous amount of cut up pieces of fleece squares 3 to 4 in. without stitching, for him to hid in. Include organic walnuts or filberts aka: hazelnuts into the box.

You will need a large cage. to place him and the next box into the cage. If not it is harder to get him out of the next box into the cage.

Should he get loose in your home, using a throw blanket to toss over him so you can scoop him up can help. Work your hands down over the blanket till you have them around the squirrel so you can grab him up to get him into the cage in that case..

You will need a water bowl of a water bottle for rodents that attaches to the cage, and a food bowl also.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Chirps (05-24-2020), island rehabber (05-20-2020)

Thank you both for your help, I’m waiting for him to come back and I’ll see if I can catch him. Meli I sent you a message earlier in regards to the rehabbers you know of in my area. Again, Thank so much

Yes, you sent it to me but it needed to be directed to Island Rehabber. No worries, I have passed the message on to her and she will respond to your thread when she’s able.

I hope you can either catch him or support him. Hopefully the other rehabbers located in Queens can help.

Bridgit6 I just sent you a private message with name of a rehabber.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (05-20-2020), Nancy in New York (05-20-2020), stepnstone (05-21-2020)