Thread: Found Baby Squirrel Need Help

Default Found Baby Squirrel Need Help

My GF found a baby squirrel outside her business on the walkway. We feed squirrels so during the day there is a lot of activity but this was way too late ~9 PM for squirrels to be out and this one looked too small. We watched it for a while and it walked amount 20-30 meters along the walkway zigzagging a lot. Eventually, we decided it was not safe to leave it out so we brought it inside and we have it in a cat carrier.

The squirrel seems to have two teeth coming so we don't think it was out on its own. It was able to climb the wall enough to be completely off the ground but didn't seem strong enough to climb up. Based on this and googling I think the squirrel is about 5-6 weeks old (eyes open). The squirrel also had a bloody nose. At times it was breathing so heavily the entire body was moving in a very exaggerated way -- not sure if that was fear or breathing problems. When my GF wrapped it and held it close it would sleep.

Because of COVID everything is closed so we tried to give it a water + sugar + salt mix using a straw and then a pen but that didn't work well. A very little got in but too much was going into the nose. I found instructions for testing for dehydration by pinch the back and there was a negligible amount of tenting so we figure better to try to feed in the morning with proper syringe/droplet -- it will be eight to ten hours between the time we found the squirrel and a pharmacy opening.

We used a microwave hot pad to get the temperature up as well as wrapping it up. We don't have a heat source so and the microwave hot pad is only warm for an hour or so we we just put the temperature up to 27C in the shop.

So that is where we're at -- we want to the best chance at saving the squirrel and returning it to nature so what should we do?

The current plan is to hydrate then go find Esbilac and try to feed but is there anything else?

Ideally would prefer to reunite with mother -- searched entire property and couldn't find any other babies or any sign of an upset nest. Obviously the baby belongs to a squirrel that comes to feed just not sure how the baby ended up there alone. What are the chances of reuniting with the mother?

Failing that we'd hope for a rescue -- I have some local numbers. The third option would be we care for it ourselves which is far from ideal as we have several cats at home and the shop when machines are running is really loud.

Anyway, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. It is 12:30 am so going to get a few hours sleep then head back to the shop to check-in.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Naldinho:

Chirps (05-20-2020), RockyPops (05-19-2020)

Default Re: Found Baby Squirrel Need Help

keep warm
    do not try to feed in such a hurry, continuously check weather dehydrate.
    wait for senor member's advice
    They really are unique special creatures that will steal your heart in a minute -From A Senior Member

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to samanfdo:

Chirps (05-20-2020), island rehabber (05-19-2020), RockyPops (05-19-2020)

He made it through the night. With proper tools, we've managed to get some water in. Another hour till we can get that human baby rehydration formula.

Reaches out to a rescue but no response yet.

Currently, our main concern is the weird movements -- I would best describe it almost like sneezing with a mainly head but all body movement and a sound. I don't know if this is normal. He seems like he might have nasal congestion but I don't have anything to compare this to.

Now that it is day squirrels are starting to move around but I have no idea where he came from. He was first seen outside the business door but that is across a significant parking lot from any trees and involves climbing a sidewalk that is higher than I think he could manage to climb. Some squirrels live on the roof a building over but again involves crossing a laneway and I think if he fell from the roof onto concrete he's be hurt which he does not appear to be.

He seems way more alert and alive than last night so we're more optimistic. He seems hungry but conflicting information on how to feed.

Ideal outcome would be reintegration but there is traffic so we have concerns about putting him outside as he is able to move.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Naldinho from:

RockyPops (05-19-2020)

I spoke too soon -- he now seems worse. Concerned we hydrated him wrong. He was convulsing for a while but that seems to have stopped now and just lying there.

I think there is something wrong with him so going back to mother is probably not an option but we really want to help him just don't know what to do.

Weight is 105g

Attempts to get him to urinate so far have failed.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Naldinho from:

RockyPops (05-19-2020)

Hold him up to your ear like a phone. Do you hear a clicking noise with each breath? Do you have a syringe for feeding?

I know of only two rehab facilities in Canada. One is Stormhaven Garden 519-400-3108 and the other is Ecureuil Land. You’ll have to look this one up on Facebook. I don’t have a number for it.

If you hear a clicking noise he will need antibiotics because he has aspirated water. Human antibiotics will work. Call around to family and friends and see what you can locate.

There are several members in Canada so posting again with a title like “Need help in Canada” might get their attention.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

RockyPops (05-19-2020), samanfdo (05-19-2020)

Thank you for helping this baby!

Here is a link to very good info for helping a baby squirrel...

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/
    It's several pages long so click "next" in upper right corner.

If the baby aspirated he must be put on antibiotics at once. If you can locate some ab's someone here will dose it for you.
    Also need a weight or a good photo of squirrel next to a soda can etc. for a guesstimate.

Edit: I see you already posted weight. 105 grams.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

samanfdo (05-20-2020)

Thanks for the help.

We managed to get him into a wildlife rehabilitation facility that has a lot of experience with squirrels and they were optimistic he would be fine. They did say he needed to be on antibiotics because apparently he had a puncture wound. We couldn't see anything obvious so it must have been small.

He perked up after my last post and was behaving like a normal squirrel and we tried to feed him some of that puppy stuff which he would lick off fingers and a spoon but he wasn't getting much -- maybe 2-3 ml before we started worrying that he would start heaving again so we stopped. He was pretty lifeless for the first 30 minutes of the drive but the last 15 minutes he perked up again and was active when we dropped him off

Name:  2020-05-19 16_40_54-Window.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  111.9 KB

14. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Naldinho:

Chirps (05-20-2020), Mel1959 (05-20-2020), RockyPops (05-19-2020), samanfdo (05-20-2020)

Thanks again for going out of your way to help this little one!

If you can follow up with his progress please post it here.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Chirps (05-20-2020), samanfdo (05-20-2020)