Thread: Wild with awful teeth

Default Wild with awful teeth

At a friend’s house last week I saw a sweet little squirrel come for her peanut butter sandwich. Friend fixes peanut sandwiches for all the wild critters. Little girl looked like she had a scab on her nose. Yesterday my friend texted me six times while I was at a doctor appointment. The little squirrel looked awful. One eye was swollen shut and her face was swollen. She caught her in a pillowcase and put her in a cat carrier. I told her to take her to my vet. The pictures are worth a thousand words. This sweetheart had suffered some sort of trauma and her teeth suffered for it. Tonight her teeth are short but she has a hole in her upper palate. She’s on her second day of Baytril. I can smell infection. Her breathing is “jucy” and labored. I give her water. She’s thirsty. I bet she’s hungry too but she can’t eat. I give her some of Fours gruel but little one can’t swallow. I asked if I could “stack” another antiobiotic to get that infection under control. I was told if she was no better Friday to call. If I had oxygen she would be tented. I don’t. How can I help this sweet girl. Her eyes are affected too. She has drops for them and they look better but not great. The middle picture is her tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

RockyPops (05-21-2020)

Default Re: Wild with awful teeth

I would definitely go for the ABs to keep the infection in check. For nourishment yu may want to try Ensure - they even have a pecan flavour. It worked with my lil fellow who was struck by a car and couldn't eat solids for a week. Might want to cover her eyes while you feed her - being a wild she might be very stressed or spooked , it could help you feed her with a syringe. Might the vet have something to suggest for the breathing?

Good luck, praying for you and the little one. Thank you for taking such care of her.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

RockyPops (05-21-2020)

CL do you have clindamycin? So good for infections above the neck in mammals (including us). Can be stacked with Baytril. Poor girlie!!The pecan Ensure is a great idea....dilute it if you have to so she can swallow.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

gunpackingrandma (05-21-2020), Mel1959 (05-21-2020), RockyPops (05-21-2020)

I think I do have Clindamycin. Her breathing is better today. I’ll look for pecan Ensure. I’m thinking when she’s better I’ll fix a little peanut butter sandwich for her. I can put a teeny bit of Henry’s Vitamins in the peanut butter. Comfort food doncha know?!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

RockyPops (05-21-2020)