Thread: 13 week old MALE EASTERN GRAY squirrel pees on himself

Default 13 week old MALE EASTERN GRAY squirrel pees on himself

I need to start releasing Rocky soon and when he was a baby he had an infected penis. It has healed and he is active and full of energy and his urine does not stink. However, he still pees on himself and every 2 days I run his penis area under the faucet so his hair isn't yellow and stinky. Will this be a problem when releasing him? He doesn't do the best job at cleaning the area either. I just need to know if this will affect him being out in the wild on his own.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to green girl from:

RockyPops (05-14-2020)

Default Re: 13 week old MALE EASTERN GRAY squirrel pees on himself

I have the same issue with mine. He Had a bad suckled penis when he was younger.

Did you get a response? Is this normal?

Default Re: 13 week old MALE EASTERN GRAY squirrel pees on himself

Quote Originally Posted by green girl View Post
    I need to start releasing Rocky soon and when he was a baby he had an infected penis. It has healed and he is active and full of energy and his urine does not stink. However, he still pees on himself and every 2 days I run his penis area under the faucet so his hair isn't yellow and stinky. Will this be a problem when releasing him? He doesn't do the best job at cleaning the area either. I just need to know if this will affect him being out in the wild on his own.
    I’m not sure how, or if, this will affect him in the wild. I’ve had squirrels that have been suckled with a very elongated penis but once they were in a bigger enclosure and the suckling stopped the penis returned to normal size after some time. I’ve never had one that continually urinated on itself.

Maybe once he’s released and he’s forced to tend to his hygiene he will.

If others have experienced this I hope they’ll answer.