Thread: Squirrel sucked some liquid in Squirrel

Default Squirrel sucked some liquid in Squirrel

Squirrel is 8-9 weeks old and is starting on some solids. While lapping from bowl got fluid in nose and sneezed some. Could this cause pneumonia? I am frantically worried. Thank you

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Peanut147 from:

RockyPops (05-12-2020)

Default Re: Squirrel sucked some liquid in Squirrel

They do this a lot when learning to drink from a dish, and it normally does not lead to pneumonia at this age.
    I have 22 currently learning and they have all done this a few times and they are fine.

If you want to make sure, check their breathing to see if they are clicking. Also watch for signs they are not eating.
    Check their breathing before feeding them.. as they will sometimes click for a while after a feeding, but the click will go away as they dry out their nose.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Marlee88 (05-18-2020), RockyPops (05-12-2020)

Default Re: Squirrel sucked some liquid in nose

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    They do this a lot when learning to drink from a dish, and it normally does not lead to pneumonia at this age.
    I have 22 currently learning and they have all done this a few times and they are fine.

If you want to make sure, check their breathing to see if they are clicking. Also watch for signs they are not eating.
    Check their breathing before feeding them.. as they will sometimes click for a while after a feeding, but the click will go away as they dry out their nose.
    Thank you, telework turned into squirrel research today. I've been feeding him for 4 weeks with syringe without much issue. Then he got crazy because of the slow drip. Since he had water in cage and was eating some solids, thought a few drops at a time in dish would'nt be an issue. I was wrong! I did order some bird Baytril today in case there is a problem. Will take 3 days to get it though.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Peanut147:

Did it look anything like this? This was my baby in 2018. She had been drinking for a couple of days? but this was still a bit too much probably. She was fine though, but I DID worry.

https://youtu.be/TyfeOr6zyB0
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Did it look anything like this? This was my baby in 2018. She had been drinking for a couple of days? but this was still a bit too much probably. She was fine though, but I DID worry.

https://youtu.be/TyfeOr6zyB0
    Very close. I was only putting enough to coat bottom of dish. He does seem fine so far, I think maybe I was one that wasn't fine lol. Poor little guy has went from half frozen and emancipated to an active boy. Don't want to lose him now. Thanks for the clip. How is that guy/girl doing?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The trick is to use a very shallow dish, so they do not have to tilt their head downwards and put their nose in the water/formula.
    If you have ever watched a squirrel drink in the wild, they put their head parallel to the water, and dip just their chin in.

Here is a dish that I found that works well with squirrels... I got 6 of these for 50 cents each at the Goodwill store.
    Its very shallow, but heavy pyrex so it does not slide around, and almost unbreakable.

Name:  IMG_20200512_233038716_HDR.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  86.3 KB

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Chirps (05-12-2020), Marlee88 (05-18-2020)

Here is a video of my batches last fall, of about the same age as yours, learning to use dishes.
    I am posting it because I think after watching it you will feel like your baby sneezing milk out of his nose is not so bad after all
    Listen to how many times you hear them sneezing.. and watch how covered their faces are.
    Some of the idiots even laid down in it.

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Chirps (05-12-2020), Marlee88 (05-18-2020), TubeDriver (05-14-2020)

Oooh, that's a nice dish, Javarat. You rarely see that weight and shape.

OMG loved the hordes descending on the formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut147 View Post
    Very close. I was only putting enough to coat bottom of dish. He does seem fine so far, I think maybe I was one that wasn't fine lol. Poor little guy has went from half frozen and emancipated to an active boy. Don't want to lose him now. Thanks for the clip. How is that guy/girl doing?
    Yeah that's what I tried to do, just coat bottom of bowl/dish so they CAN'T get the nose in too far. In the video it wasn't her first time drinking, although it may look like it.

Sadly I have not seen my Navvy since August 16 last summer.

Arrow Re: Squirrel sucked some liquid in Squirrel

Here is a video of my batches last fall, of about the same age as yours, learning to use dishes.
    I am posting it because I think after watching it you will feel like your baby sneezing milk out of his nose is not so bad after all
    Listen to how many times you hear them sneezing.. and watch how covered their faces are.
    Some of the idiots even laid down in it.

Wow, that sputtering while drinking is it 100%. He seemed very playful tonight, might just be me having anxiety over him 😂

The trick is to use a very shallow dish, so they do not have to tilt their head downwards and put their nose in the water/formula.
    If you have ever watched a squirrel drink in the wild, they put their head parallel to the water, and dip just their chin in.

Here is a dish that I found that works well with squirrels... I got 6 of these for 50 cents each at the Goodwill store.
    Its very shallow, but heavy pyrex so it does not slide around, and almost unbreakable.

Name:  IMG_20200512_233038716_HDR.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  86.3 KB
    Nice!

Oooh too cute with all those little milkly mugs slurping up the milk!!

Lil Chucky is doing great! Built a wood transition cage for him to start spending some time in. Have to say, I want him to stay with me because I am worried something will happen to him. I've raised numerous birds, rabbits, and even a possum, never got attached like this. First squirrel, and they grab your heart.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Peanut147 from:

Chirps (06-01-2020)

He has weathered the storm. A single boy I kept alive because rehabs wouldn't take him during COVID. He hates his outdoor cage! Life is great for him, Henry,s blocks and all

Don't think I'll let him go to die, but please somebody tell me how to make this legal. Belly rubs every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut147 View Post
    He has weathered the storm. A single boy I kept alive because rehabs wouldn't take him during COVID. He hates his outdoor cage! Life is great for him, Henry,s blocks and all

Don't think I'll let him go to die, but please somebody tell me how to make this legal. Belly rubs every night.