Thread: Squirrel sneezing

Question Squirrel sneezing

Hi, I have a very rambunctious grey squirrel that we named Luna. We got her off of a busy road before she got hit (almost got myself hit in the process). Shes very active, playful and has quite the appetite. The problem is that she has been sneezing quite a bit lately and I'm worried about pneumonia. I've never noticed any milk coming out of her nostrils i keep a very good pace when feeding to try to combat aspiration. So I'm just wondering what I should do. Could she have possibly aspirated somehow, could it be allergies? Her bedding is regular fleece and minky fleece as well as many wood chew toys (idk if that helps). But, I have access to Baytril. The bottle says 2.5% Oral Solution, 25 ml. Composition: 1ml contains 25mg of enrofloxacin. Would it be okay to give her baytril if so how much do I give her? Thank you.

Default Re: Squirrel sneezing

How old is she?

First thing to do is check her teeth. Sneezing is the first symptom of misaligned teeth irritating the mouth because they are not being ground down. If she cannot grind them down they need to be trimmed. Wrap her in a cloth like a squirrel burrito so only her mouth is visible and use a chopstick or wooden rod to pry her mouth open and see how even and straight they look.

If her teeth look good we would need to know her weight in grams to calculate dosing.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Chirps (05-12-2020), lunabeam (05-12-2020)

So her right bottom tooth looks just a wee bit longer than her left and they aren't as close together as her top teeth are. I'm just curious as to how this happens because she chews very often? How should I trim them? She also weighs 134 grams.

Squirrel bottom teeth are like chopsticks.. they can actually move them sideways and apart.
    Main thing is that they should not be so long that they are cutting the upper lip.
    Watch her when she eats.. if she keeps jerking her head back or to the side each time she chews it indicates pain.
    Upper teeth should be short and straight, not folded back into the mouth or to the side.

I sent you a Private Message with 2.5% baytril dosage for 134 grams.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

lunabeam (05-12-2020)