Thread: PYOMETRA

Threaded View

Default Re: PYOMETRA

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    I can only add that it won't hurt if you give her the soil based bacteria as this helps the body fights pyometra infection naturally.

If she is spayed you will need to increase the calcium in her diet, for the drop in estrogen from spaying will significantly lower

the absorption of of calcium into her bloodstream. Please share this file of this study journal on the effects of spaying in female rats, resulting in osteoporosis with your veterinarian. After a year or two it reaches the spine in degenerative bone disease disestablishing it causing painful spasm that debilitates the animal with painful spasms due to the instability that the drop in estrogen from spaying results in.

If it isn't needful to spay, then it is a better choice to treat with AB and synbiotics (pre and probiotics) to control this condition, to give AB during heats, whereas meds to control the spasms that aren't well effective are required to give twice daily for the rest of the life of the squirrel.

If not, then the diet will need to be boosted in calcium considerably to offset this problem with Calcium citrate and Magnesium citrate, which were found in Calcium carbonate readily bonds wiwh oxalic acid making what is bonded into Calcium oxalate (insoluble) no longer available to the body to support the bones.
    I'll talk to rehabber's I know about the calcium. But thank you
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 05-13-2020 at 06:14 PM.
    To all my babies past and present..
    Thank you for showing me how to love
    and be loved unconditionally....
    RIP Timothy

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TinyPaws:

Diggie's Friend (05-12-2020), SammysMom (05-12-2020)