Thread: Advice/reassurance

Default Advice/reassurance

This is my tiny baby girl that I’ve been taking care of for the past week we found her in the car mother was nowhere to be found left her for two hours still no mama so we took her home and I’ve been researching like crazy for the past seven days and taking care of her I’m just wondering if anyone has any idea what kind of scale she may be she seems pretty small she also doesn’t seem to be a chipmunk facial features match squirrel. I have some rehab or selling me she is healthy which makes me feel very happy and confident but she’s just so tiny and all the pictures I see of other squirrels around her age I’m guessing her to be two weeks going on three she’s just very very small I’m going to attach a photo of when I first got her and then a photo of today
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spam:

Chirps (04-28-2020), RockyPops (04-29-2020)

Default Re: Advice/reassurance

Could this be a red squirrel? She looks healthy.
    What is the weight?
    What are you feeding?

This is a link with good information about baby squirrel care.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-sq...RoClzUQAvD_BwE

Edit... actually she probably is a red squirrel. A rehabber that rehabs red squirrels says they have a dark triangle on the nose. That looks like a triangle to me.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (04-28-2020), RockyPops (04-29-2020), stepnstone (04-29-2020)

Right now her weight is 21.55 gs
    And she’s on esciblac goat puppy formula and she eats about 1 mL to 1.2 mL every 3 hours!
    I’ve been on Henry‘s that’s where I got my miracle nipples and I’m also waiting for the step to formula to come she’s doing well on the puppy formula now and I know it’s not the greatest but I didn’t want to switch and risk her having issues so I’m just waiting to get the second step and will start that at week 5 I just wish I knew how old she was exactly

I also was thinking red squirrel but I fell a rehabber was even thinking maybe pine squirrel. I’m thinking she was a rent but there were also no other babies with her in the nest.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spam from:

RockyPops (04-29-2020)

Did you order FoxValley 20:50?

Isn’t a pine squirrel the same as a red squirrel? I thought they were the same. I really don’t know though. We don’t have them here.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (04-29-2020)

Yes that’s exactly what I ordered and also some Henry’s healthy blocks for when she can have those as well just to be prepared and I think their similar but different. Because I was told by the same person looks like a red squirrel and then as she got a little bit bigger she said that she was starting to look more like a pine squirrel because of her ears. Which to me they look the same as any other squirrel baby

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spam from:

RockyPops (04-29-2020)

Based on the hair I would say about 10-14 days.
    I sure hate to see this baby on GME. I’m sure you are aware of the problems with PetAg products in the fall. There was a study done that involved analyzing MANY different formula. A glaring finding was that ALL of the GME tested were rancid. Not just slightly rancid but extremely rancid based on the high levels of peroxide.

Be sure to freeze the Henry’s blocks.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Diggie's Friend (04-29-2020), RockyPops (04-29-2020)

So should I get the first step of Henry’s too then? Should I be worried about her tolerating the switch? Should I feed Pedialyte before the first feed if I switch?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spam from:

RockyPops (04-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    So should I get the first step of Henry’s too then? Should I be worried about her tolerating the switch? Should I feed Pedialyte before the first feed if I switch?
    If you’re referring to FoxValley32:40, no I wouldn’t. In the past there were problems with that as well. The babies couldn’t digest it and it turned hard in the gut. This problem was in the past and some are using it mixed with another formula. Many are still reluctant to use it.

Henry’s has a temporary goat milk formula. It is on page 3 of their baby squirrel guide.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

You could use the goat milk recipe for 2 weeks and then go to the FV 20:50 at 4 weeks.

I would transition slowly to the Goat milk formula. Mix both formula as per directions.
    Then mix 75% GME with 25% goat milk formula... feed this mixture for 2-3 feedings.
    Then mix 50% GME with 50% goat milk formula... feed this mixture for 2-3 feedings.
    Then mix 25% GME with 75% goat milk formula... feed this mixture for 2-3 feedings.
    Then go with 100% goat milk formula.

By transitioning slowly, it helps for the GI to adjust and prevent diarrhea. It also helps them adjust to the different taste.

I know your baby seems fine now but I would be afraid to wait and see on this. I believe there were 6 lot numbers of GME tested and they were all rancid.
    It’s up to you, after 2 weeks and you can switch to FV 20:50.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (04-29-2020), RockyPops (04-29-2020)

Okay then I will try that. I will get all the things to make that in the morning.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spam from:

RockyPops (04-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Isn’t a pine squirrel the same as a red squirrel?
    As a person that grew up in Michigan, what we know as reds are commonly called pine squirrels in MI.

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Chirps (04-29-2020), HRT4SQRLS (04-29-2020), RockyPops (04-29-2020)