Thread: When to do soft release

Default When to do soft release

Hi I have a friend in Illinois that has a baby squirrrl. Sje was thinking she could do a soft release this fall.

My opinion is that they need to build a nest and good at it , along with ability to find food and water by then. I told her that it wouldnt be a good idea and that she may over winter it.

I'm guessing it will be 23 to 26 weeks old by then. What are some of ya's opinion on releasing this baby boy she named bones, cause he was so bad off when it was found, doing a soft release in the fall around august?

Also it is not trying to build a nest with its leaves and branches it provides at this moment.

Sincerely
    Mary r

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ozzy2019 from:

RockyPops (04-22-2020)

Default Re: When to do soft release

A soft release will enable it to come back to the RC for as long as necessary, to sleep, eat and for protection. If it will be 26 weeks in the Fall I’m not sure it’s necessary to wait that long. I think anywhere from 16-20 weeks is good for release. Being that this one is a singleton I’d probably lean towards 20 weeks. Overwintering would probably be very stressful for everyone.

I have never really noticed any of my guys building a real drey while in the release cage. I’ve had them take fleece scraps, tissues and such and line their nest box, but that’s about it. I’m not sure you can determine that they’re ready to be released by their building abilities, when they aren’t in a natural habitat.

I provide a nest box while still in the release cage then when I’m ready to release, I move it up into a nearby tree. That way they are comfortable with it and their scent is already in it. The more nest boxes the merrier.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (04-22-2020), RockyPops (04-22-2020)

I agree this baby should be released well before fall 2020 if this is a Fall 2019 Baby. That would be best for the squirrel.

And waiting until Spring 2021 would definitely put the squirrel at a disadvantage.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

island rehabber (04-22-2020), Mel1959 (04-22-2020), RockyPops (04-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    A soft release will enable it to come back to the RC for as long as necessary, to sleep, eat and for protection. If it will be 26 weeks in the Fall I’m not sure it’s necessary to wait that long. I think anywhere from 16-20 weeks is good for release. Being that this one is a singleton I’d probably lean towards 20 weeks. Overwintering would probably be very stressful for everyone.
    I totally agree. If this baby is between 6-9 weeks old now, there is no reason it cannot be released in June or early July. Captivity is stressful to a growing squirrel who wants to get out and get on with his life. Nest-building is inherent; he will know what to do when he gets out there. He needs a couple of weeks in a per-release cage or enclosure outdoors, and then he's good to go.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (04-22-2020), RockyPops (04-22-2020)