Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Baby Squirrel Mange?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 7

    Post Baby Squirrel Mange?

    Good afternoon,

    I am a veterinary student here in Texas. I have been caring for a baby squirrel for 3 weeks now after a client brought her into the clinic. I believe she is a 6 weeks old eastern fox squirrel based on my research. She weighs approximately 110g. She is healthy and very active. She is starting to show signs of what I believe to be mange (itchy scally and scabby skin with a little hair loss). I was recommended by a veterinarian to apply kitten Revolution, what age is it safe to use Revolution on squirrels? Also, is there a dosage based on weight that is commonly used?

    Thank you!

  2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to renw:

    Chirps (04-22-2020), RockyPops (04-21-2020)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    16,278
    Thanked: 10724

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel Mange?

    Quote Originally Posted by renw View Post
    Good afternoon,

    I am a veterinary student here in Texas. I have been caring for a baby squirrel for 3 weeks now after a client brought her into the clinic. I believe she is a 6 weeks old eastern fox squirrel based on my research. She weighs approximately 110g. She is healthy and very active. She is starting to show signs of what I believe to be mange (itchy scally and scabby skin with a little hair loss). I was recommended by a veterinarian to apply kitten Revolution, what age is it safe to use Revolution on squirrels? Also, is there a dosage based on weight that is commonly used?
    Thank you!
    We do use revolution for puppies/kittens that states up to five pounds
    with just a drop or two from the pipette between the shoulders.
    But... I personally couldn't recommend using it on a 110 gram baby.
    Someone else may be able to advice differently or recommend an alternative
    that would be safer.
    If you can, post a picture of baby and condition for a visual assessment.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

    Chirps (04-22-2020), Nancy in New York (04-22-2020), RockyPops (04-21-2020)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel Mange?

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    We do use revolution for puppies/kittens that states up to five pounds
    with just a drop or two from the pipette between the shoulders.
    But... I personally couldn't recommend using it on a 110 gram baby.
    Someone else may be able to advice differently or recommend an alternative
    that would be safer.
    If you can, post a picture of baby and condition for a visual assessment.

    Thank you for your response. I was worried about her weight being so low as well.
    I took her outside to try to get better pictures. Her skin is rough and scaly to the touch. She eats rat block and drinks water along with her regular formula feedings. I wet the hair slightly in an effort to see her skin better, I'm sorry they aren't good pictures. She has scabs and itches. Thank you for your help!

    Name:  image0.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  386.1 KBName:  image1.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  345.5 KBName:  image2.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  432.1 KBName:  image3.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  346.7 KB

  6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to renw:

    Chirps (04-22-2020), RockyPops (04-21-2020)

  7. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    997
    Thanked: 1579

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel Mange?

    What does she weigh and what's her diet like?

    She is beautiful!

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel Mange?

    Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    What does she weigh and what's her diet like?

    She is beautiful!
    Thank you! She is very sweet. She is eating 9-10cc Esbilac Puppy Milk Replacer 4-5x daily, she eats the Mazuri Rat & Mouse Diet blocks and of course freshwater. Slowly starting to add a few sunflower seeds into her food the last few days. She weighs about 110g.

  9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to renw from:

    RockyPops (04-22-2020)

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Sc
    Posts
    96
    Thanked: 151

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel Mange?

    She's so cute. I have picked up squirrels from vets that call 4 so.eone 2 come get it. They havent fed it or kept it warm. Vets r very busy so most times they have the students care for it . I dont know why they dont keep them warm amd feed them. One day they had 1 for 2 days that hadn't been fed covered in fleas. So thank you 4 helping her.

    I sure do miss mine.

    Sincerely

    Mary r.

  11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ozzy2019 from:

    RockyPops (04-22-2020)

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Rivendell
    Posts
    660
    Thanked: 1083

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel Mange?

    Quote Originally Posted by renw View Post
    Thank you! She is very sweet. She is eating 9-10cc Esbilac Puppy Milk Replacer 4-5x daily, she eats the Mazuri Rat & Mouse Diet blocks and of course freshwater. Slowly starting to add a few sunflower seeds into her food the last few days. She weighs about 110g.
    Hi, and thank you for caring for this beautiful girl! Unfortunately Esbilac is no longer recommended as a safe food for squirrels. Please see the banner at the top of the page. At the bottom of my post is a link to a guide for baby squirrel care. They have the better formula available as well. (Fox Valley 20/50) The Mazuri blocks are good, but not the sunflower seeds. If you go to the Nutrition forum here there is a sticky thread with the squirrel food pyramid. Since she eats block for you the next foods to introduce will be veggies from the list.

    Cheers!

  13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

    RockyPops (04-22-2020)

  14. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    16,566
    Thanked: 5696

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel Mange?

    It does sort of look like mange. Since you can hold her, and separate the hair to look at the skin, tell us what you are seeing on the ears. Mange hits there very early on and they start looking almost crispy from the tips of the ears down from the skin beginning to slough off.

  15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

    Chirps (04-22-2020), RockyPops (04-22-2020)

  16. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Baby Squirrel Mange?

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    We do use revolution for puppies/kittens that states up to five pounds
    with just a drop or two from the pipette between the shoulders.
    But... I personally couldn't recommend using it on a 110 gram baby.
    Someone else may be able to advice differently or recommend an alternative
    that would be safer.
    If you can, post a picture of baby and condition for a visual assessment.


    Would I be able to treat her with oral ivermectin at this age/size? Would it be safer than Revolution?

  17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to renw from:

    RockyPops (04-25-2020)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •