Thread: cardboard tubes for playing? Safe?

Default cardboard tubes for playing? Safe?

I have four 7 week old squirrels. I put an empty cardboard tube from a paper towel roll in their cage and they were super interested but it looked like they were licking the glue remnants and perhaps eating some of the traces of paper that were stuck to it. I quickly removed it. Is this a safe "toy" for them to play with? Any issues with them eating cardboard?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Default Re: cardboard tubes for playing? Safe?

I wouldn’t let them eat cardboard. If they consume enough it could swell and cause an obstruction. I wouldn’t risk it.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (04-20-2020)

Thanks. That is what I thought too so I removed it about 10 seconds after putting it in the cage. Is wood better? Branches so they can chew on something?

Also, when should I add water sources? I put in a water bottle and one of them had runny poos that evening. Removed the water bottle and back to nice, shaped poops that are not dry but are firm. They are getting feed 7-8% 4x/day.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I wouldn’t let them eat cardboard. If they consume enough it could swell and cause an obstruction. I wouldn’t risk it.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

RockyPops (04-20-2020)

I always give them branches. At first you can cut short pieces. I give them 5 inch pieces that are about 1/2 diameter. They will turn them into filing in a short time.
    I don’t give a water bottle until later. When they are eating solid food pretty well, I add the water bottle.
    They wouldn’t have water in the nest. Their hydration is from mom’s milk or formula.

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (04-21-2020), RockyPops (04-20-2020), stepnstone (04-20-2020), TubeDriver (04-20-2020)

I think you did right by listening to your instincts and removing the cardboard tube. At that age they are testing everything as if it is a potential food to eat.

But I do want to mention the last time that I raised squee 5 years ago, when mine were pretty much well off formula, and I was overwintering them, I needed to have a lot of things to keep them busy. I would put a shell nut into a toilet paper tube and fold over the ends. I would give each squee one of these and they would run off to tear it open to get to the nut. At that age, it was great fun, and they had no interest in eating the cardboard. Note, I never gave them too many nuts like this so they did not develop a nut stash. When they were this age, I also got non-chemical pine wood cut it into 2 inch pieces, drilled a small hole in it, and filled it with peanut butter and hung it from rope. It took some time to stuff the peanut butter in the holes, but they would chew the wood to pieces to get the peanut butter. As well I always had fresh cut branches for them to chew.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

Chirps (04-21-2020), RockyPops (04-21-2020)