Thread: Substitute for goats milk?

Default Substitute for goats milk?

I'm a little unsure what to do. I have a just now 2 wk.old grey squirrel. My fiance was doing a tree job and accidentally unknowingly cut a lead off the top of a tree and after it fell he heard it crying. Mom didnt come back, we were hoping it wasnt her laying by the road. I think it was. Anyways I have been on the squirrel refuge site alot of useful information which directed me here. I haven't recieved the fox vallet formula they said to use not sure when it will arrive. So I got the closet to the percentages listed which was the esbalic puppy formula. She was doing good used pedialyte to hydrate her. She started with yellow loose stools. So went on a search to make your recipe I have everything except the main ingredient goat's milk...what else can I use?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Fern from:

RockyPops (04-15-2020)

Default Re: Substitute for goats milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    I'm a little unsure what to do. I have a just now 2 wk.old grey squirrel. My fiance was doing a tree job and accidentally unknowingly cut a lead off the top of a tree and after it fell he heard it crying. Mom didnt come back, we were hoping it wasnt her laying by the road. I think it was. Anyways I have been on the squirrel refuge site alot of useful information which directed me here. I haven't recieved the fox vallet formula they said to use not sure when it will arrive. So I got the closet to the percentages listed which was the esbalic puppy formula. She was doing good used pedialyte to hydrate her. She started with yellow loose stools. So went on a search to make your recipe I have everything except the main ingredient goat's milk...what else can I use?
    You really need the goats milk and the Esbilac will be really bad for a 2 week old baby. They changed some of the ingredients in Esbilac and we have had really bad results and way too many deaths. We no longer recommend Esbilac.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

RockyPops (04-15-2020)

Our WalMarts carry goats milk.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Chirps (04-16-2020), Nancy in New York (04-16-2020)

Please stay away from esbilac. It killed several squirrels last year amd it's been hard for rehabbers to get over the loss as it was massive. Theres a folder called you just found a baby squirrel. Touch the white word at top that says forum. Theres nonurgent, urgent, and formula recommendations. I ordered royal canine for myself and most recommend fox valley 20/50. There are instruction on how to hydrate the baby, and ease him or her on to the formula. They have to be kept warm. There are files on how to do this. They cant digest food if they are not warm. They require a lot. If you live n sc I have fox valley 20/50 in my freezer if you live in sc I can meet you halfway. The admins and senior members are awesome if you want to reach out to them. They can give you step by step instructions. Good luck. P.m. me if you need anything

Most good stuff can be found under the categories after you click the white word forum. They have very specific needs. Even the technique of feeding them is upmost importance. Most aspiration pneumonia is caused by improper technique. Also there is a table to show you how much you need to be feeding him or her. Lots to read. Thank you for helping them.

Sincerely,
    Mary r.

Name:  Screenshot_20200415-213549_Chrome.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  70.9 KB

Feeding amounts

Thank you Spanky, Ozzy2019, & RockyPops. The Naturals store down the road was able to help me get some fresh goats milk today. Also my fiance just remembered about a woman in the next town over who used to give his ex fresh goats milk for injured bats. So going to try there too. Currently little fern is doing great, I am happy to have got her the fresh goats milk. Over night she got her whiskers and more distinct hair on her face. She has such a personality.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Fern:

Chirps (04-16-2020), RockyPops (04-16-2020)

The goats milk must be mixed with heavy whipping cream, egg yolk and yogurt to make it more nutritionally complete for your baby. The recipe can be found at the Henrys Pets website. I don’t have access to my notes right now so I can’t give you the amounts for the goats milk recipe. Please look it up on the Henrys website.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (04-16-2020)

Here is the recipe:
    Homemade Goat Milk Formula Plus (HGMF+):

• 3 tablespoons goat milk
    • 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
    • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
    • ½ egg yolk

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Mel1959 (04-16-2020), RockyPops (04-16-2020)