Thread: Need help determining age-Eastern grey squirrels

Default Need help determining age-Eastern grey squirrels

Hi all! We found two eastern grey squirrels on Easter, maybe around 7-8 weeks old? There’s a squirrel that nests in the roof of the porch, right outside the front door. We hear noises up there year round, see her run past the window on the garden fence or running around the roof and gutters.
    We heard crying that morning, there was one little squirrel in the gutter, near the nest spot. Kept crying for a couple hours. She climbed on the roof a bit, into the gutter on the other side. We left for a couple hours and came back, and she was down on the porch deck. She climbed up on my boyfriend’s shoe. We put her in a box with an old shirt, and left her right outside the door, just a few feet away from the nest spot.
    She continued crying, at one point left the box and climbed under the porch, still crying.
    We didn’t see any sign of the mom that day, so when it got dark we brought her in a placed a heating pad under the box.
    The next day we put the box back outside with the heating pad, hoping the mom would come around. We heard crying again, and found her brother in the garden. It was raining off and on that day, he was soaking wet and cold. We dried him off and put him with his sister. We left the box out until dark, still no sign of mom.

They were super hungry. We made a rehydration formula and gave that to them for the first couple feedings, then have been giving them esbilac. They don’t seem interested in almonds, apples, or broccoli.
    They seem to be about 6/7/8 weeks old? Their tails are looking a little bushier now, they have fur all over, and they can climb, at least the girl can. They still seem too small to be on their own though..they’re not very strong, still a little wobbly..I live in the north east US so our grey squirrels run a little large. They don’t seem interested in much besides eating and sleeping. The girl is slightly stronger/bigger; I had her out today and she was slowly climbing around on me, the first time she’s really been curious instead of burrowing into the nearest dark place. I’m going to try and include some pictures. I’m worried that they’re not more active and don’t seem interested in solid food, so maybe they’re younger than I think?

The first photo is the little girl (Ellen) on Easter when we got back home. The second is the two of them yesterday, and the last two are pictures of the boy (Clark) I took just an hour or so ago. Any help determining age would be much appreciated!! Thank you

Also, that’s a 5ml syringe in the picture, if that helps for size reference?

Name:  2FC21901-F693-4E43-80FE-F9B00142028A.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  134.5 KBName:  967831E9-A240-44B0-9248-49845D5887CE.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  118.4 KBName:  C1C78C0F-8BEF-44EA-ADC2-C0BFE5D7FD10.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  75.2 KBName:  9C391508-DA06-49CB-8E71-AA85DF74EDEC.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  71.0 KB

Default Re: Need help determining age-Eastern grey squirrels

Hi! Hopefully one of the experts will see this soon. Meanwhile, keep them warm as you have been. Esbilac is no longer recommended due to major issues. For babies their age you will want Fox Valley 20/50 formula. (Have to order online.) For the interim you can feed a temporary goat milk formula.

3 parts goat milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream (the one in the carton near the half and half at the supermarket)
    1 part vanilla or plain yogurt, no artificial sweetener

They should eat 5-7% of their body weight at each feeding. If you have a kitchen scale and can weigh them that's important.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

RockyPops (04-15-2020)

Yay, thank you!
    I’ve ordered the fox valley formula but I’m not sure when it’ll get here..can’t find goat’s milk in any of the grocery stores around here either
    I started mixing in a bit of heavy cream today to address the calcium issue with the formula, best I can do for now.
    I’m working on borrowing a scale, hopefully I can get one later today.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ClarknEllen from:

RockyPops (04-15-2020)

They won't be interested in solid food for maybe another week, and will likely just taste/experiment/shred it. You will want their first solid food to be some form of block/pellet that is formulated for rats. It has all nutritional elements. If you have a feed store near you they may carry one of them. Two brands are Mazuri Rat and Mouse Diet and Envigo Harlan Teklad 2018. I think the Envigo is available online. . . . . .

You still have a little time before needing solid food luckily so hopefully will have something by the time they're ready for it. Just don't get sucked into buying "squirrel food" that is a mixture of nuts and seeds that looks like bird food.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

RockyPops (04-15-2020)

Everything I was reading was saying that by 5/6 weeks they should be introduced to a rodent block and some solid foods, which had me worried because they seem more like 7/8 weeks to me? It’s nice to hear that may not be the case

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ClarknEllen from:

RockyPops (04-15-2020)

If you go to the "Nursery" forum and check out the thread "New Fuzz-butts in the House" you will find it interesting I think. His babies look the same age as yours.

Don't know what to say about the formula, hopefully it will be okay short-term until the Fox Valley gets there. I think one or two other people have had the same issue getting the right food but it's worked out.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

RockyPops (04-15-2020)

The Esbilac is deadly IMO, I would stop using that as soon as possible. While the calcium is a big issue with the Esbilac, it is not the only issue. If there is not fresh goat's milk in the dairy section, look for powdered version in the aisle with the condensed milk. Though I have never seen a WalMart that did not carry goat's milk.

Block is the first solids to be introduced and only blocks until they are eating that well... this is the foundation of their diet. After they are eating block, you can start introducing some veggies followed by fruit. Here is a link to the healthy squirrel diet:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Do not give them nuts at this age... not only because of deadly MBD, but also because it is like giving cotton candy to a toddler then later fighting with them to eat their broccoli.

They are about 7 weeks IMO.

13. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Chirps (04-15-2020), ClarknEllen (04-15-2020), RockyPops (04-15-2020), Scooterzmom (04-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by ClarknEllen View Post
    Everything I was reading was saying that by 5/6 weeks they should be introduced to a rodent block and some solid foods, which had me worried because they seem more like 7/8 weeks to me? It’s nice to hear that may not be the case
    They may experiment with it at their age, but are really still dependent on formula. If the rodent blocks are the first food they try, it will be easier to get them to eat them later. The stinkers prefer "candy" to the healthy stuff. Check some other threads, like the "Fuzz-butt" one and "Coco". Anything in the Nursery forum should have good info.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

ClarknEllen (04-15-2020), RockyPops (04-15-2020)

Ah, Spanky to the rescue!

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

RockyPops (04-15-2020)

thank you!! I’d give you some fuzzy thank yous if I could figure out how!!

Edit: got it!

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ClarknEllen from:

RockyPops (04-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    They may experiment with it at their age, but are really still dependent on formula. If the rodent blocks are the first food they try, it will be easier to get them to eat them later. The stinkers prefer "candy" to the healthy stuff. Check some other threads, like the "Fuzz-butt" one and "Coco". Anything in the Nursery forum should have good info.
    Thank you so much! That does wonders to ease my worries. Boy they’re cute

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ClarknEllen from:

RockyPops (04-15-2020)

Where in New York are you located?
    Do you want us to try to find a rehabber?
    By the way, they are adorable.

Here's a guide to baby squirrels.
    It's 6 concise pages long with the next button in the top right corner.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/
    If you have any questions, we're here to help.

23. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Chirps (04-15-2020), ClarknEllen (04-21-2020), RockyPops (04-15-2020)

Squirrelagirl Guest

Your babies look to be 5-6 weeks old to me....only the regular Davila with the white dog is bad...pettco carries the goats milk esbalic it's got a picture of a pug on it. The powdered GME esbilac (from my personal experience ha ing cared for a total of four infants) works great and gives them everything that they need especially if there not ready for solids.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirrelagirl:

ClarknEllen (04-21-2020), RockyPops (04-21-2020)

Hi! I live in upstate NY.
    We went with 7weeks old, now about 8. They’re doing very well! Eating right around 10% of their weight every feeding, currently in the process of shredding their nutrition blocks, wrestling, running around and climbing a lot. We’re going to continue to care for them until they’re ready to be released

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ClarknEllen:

Chirps (04-30-2020), RockyPops (04-21-2020)

Would love a video of your babies!

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Chirps (04-30-2020), Nancy in New York (04-22-2020)