Thread: Baby gray squirrel won’t eat

Post Baby gray squirrel won’t eat

about 3 days ago I came across a baby gray squirrel who’s mother was dead a few feet away. I took the squirrel in and cleaned him out him in a box and I’ve been feeding and caring for him by following advice from this website. He was fine the first few days but two days ago he fell out of his box snd his on the floor until I came to feed him and saw he had escaped. He seems fine as in hes not injured. But now he won’t eat, and he keeping winning every time I put him down or don’t touch him for too long. It’s not a high pitched scream it’s more a murk. I looked it up and it means he’s hungry but he won’t eat??? Help??
    Some other information:
    He looks as though he’s about 3/4 weeks old and his eyes arent open
    I have to feed him cows milk (unless there’s a better thing I might have in my house) becuase I can’t leave or buy anything else due to the pandemic
    I’ve been keeping him warm with a lamp and he looks healthy besides the fact that he won’t eat anymore
    Name:  DA631E27-0C36-43E5-8A53-230162C7037B.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  103.2 KB

Default Re: Baby gray squirrel won’t eat

Juliette, your baby needs warmth, hydration and nutrition now or he will die.

He can't survive on cows milk.

The light may help keep him warm but arrange it so he can wiggle towards it or away from it to regulate his body temp. If they are cold they won't eat.

There is a recipe for homemade re-hydration fluid on this site. I'll try to find it.

Can you get to a Wal-Mart type store for goats milk? A recipe here calls for goats milk, heavy whipping cream and yogurt. I'll try to find it also. You can use this recipe for a few days until you can get him some fox vally 20/50 powdered formula. You have to order it from Henry's Healthy Pets.

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

adkgirl16 (04-10-2020), Chirps (04-11-2020), HRT4SQRLS (04-10-2020), Juliette_ (04-10-2020), Mialouise (04-10-2020)

He really needs a non-shutoff heating pad placed under his plastic bin. Half on and half off so he can get on or off the heat as needed.

Also, keep checking back here for help. There are several rehabbers in NY. Someone may be close enough to help you.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Chirps (04-11-2020), Juliette_ (04-10-2020), Mialouise (04-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    Juliette, your baby needs warmth, hydration and nutrition now or he will die.

He can't survive on cows milk.

The light may help keep him warm but arrange it so he can wiggle towards it or away from it to regulate his body temp. If they are cold they won't eat.

There is a recipe for homemade re-hydration fluid on this site. I'll try to find it.

Can you get to a Wal-Mart type store for goats milk? A recipe here calls for goats milk, heavy whipping cream and yogurt. I'll try to find it also. You can use this recipe for a few days until you can get him some fox vally 20/50 powdered formula. You have to order it from Henry's Healthy Pets.
    In New York everything I basically locked down, no stores are open and I can’t leave the house due to the quarantine ordered by the state so I can’t pick up anything besides what I have in my house at this moment in time is there nothing I can do?

You need to find a rehabber. Care of animals is considered an essential task so I’m sure a rehabber can travel if they will. Maybe one of the Admins on this board can recommend someone on Long Island.

In the mean time, you should hydrate. Let me get the recipe. It must be warm.

Homemade Rehydration fluid:
    1 cup warm water
    1 tablespoon sugar or molasses
    1 pinch salt

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-sq...hoCjDgQAvD_BwE

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

adkgirl16 (04-10-2020), Chirps (04-11-2020), Mel1959 (04-10-2020), Mialouise (04-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Juliette_ View Post
    In New York everything I basically locked down, no stores are open and I can’t leave the house due to the quarantine ordered by the state so I can’t pick up anything besides what I have in my house at this moment in time is there nothing I can do?
    I also live in New York. You can leave the house to go to the store. Go to Walmart, they have cans of powdered goat's milk and plain yogurt. There are recipes for the mixture to feed the squirrel on here.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to adkgirl16:

Chirps (04-11-2020), Mialouise (04-10-2020), RockyPops (04-10-2020)

Here is the temporary goats milk formula recipe:

TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

adkgirl16 (04-10-2020), Chirps (04-11-2020), Mel1959 (04-10-2020), Mialouise (04-10-2020)

Theres a six page care list saying Cate for a baby squirrel on here. It's awesome. Touch the forum button and you will easily see it. Sp cte. Good luck

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ozzy2019 from:

RockyPops (04-11-2020)

. Juliette, did you get this baby the necessary ingredients to make the goats milk formula? Or did you find a rehabber to take it?

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Mialouise (04-11-2020), RockyPops (04-11-2020)