Thread: Challenged Female Squirrel

Question Challenged Female Squirrel

I have a feeder station in my yard where I feed the birds and the squirrels.
    I have noticed in the last few days a female who comes out with a pinched right eye and while eating, she loses her balance and falls over to the side or on her back. She appears to be okay otherwise. I have gone out there and gotten pretty close because she doesn't sense me coming near. Once she does, she will scoot away. I toss her peanuts and she eats them happily.
    I'm just wondering what could be wrong with her that she falls over. I mean rolls onto her back or side and just lays there. It's cute, but the mom in me worries about her. I find myself out there protecting her from the bullies who try to steal her peanuts!Not sure what I'm looking for, maybe just an idea of what she may have. I haven't found anything online about squirrels and neurological disorders.
    Thanks!

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Flamingoe:

Chirps (04-05-2020), RockyPops (04-04-2020)

Default Re: Challenged Female Squirrel

A video or pictures would be a big assistance in helping understand what may be happening with your friend.

From the info here is seems she may have suffered and injury, perhaps a fall that injured not only her eye but possibly resulted in a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). Eating while on her back certainly indicates there is a neurological issue.

Kudos to you for looking out for her...

There may be some treatments that can assist her, but the pics and the videos will help determine... one important factor is if she might be a mom currently nursing babies.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Chirps (04-05-2020), RockyPops (04-04-2020)

Default Re: Challenged Female Squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    A video or pictures would be a big assistance in helping understand what may be happening with your friend.

From the info here is seems she may have suffered and injury, perhaps a fall that injured not only her eye but possibly resulted in a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). Eating while on her back certainly indicates there is a neurological issue.

Kudos to you for looking out for her...

There may be some treatments that can assist her, but the pics and the videos will help determine... one important factor is if she might be a mom currently nursing babies.

I have a short video of the squirrel from this morning that I am attempting to download. I am usually very good at this stuff...

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Flamingoe from:

RockyPops (04-05-2020)