Thread: Wondering if I need to start my little buddy on medicine or if he’ll be okay.

Default Wondering if I need to start my little buddy on medicine or if he’ll be okay.

I have a six week old baby squirrel. He’s been doing absolutely amazing. But, he’s aspirated milk twice. After the first time, he acted very lethargic, was sneezing, clicking a little, and didn’t want to eat. Although, after about a day, all of these symptoms cleared besides the sneezing. He’s been doing so well since, running around, climbing on everything, jumping everywhere, wanting to eat like a little piggy. Yesterday, he aspirated milk again. The syringe got stuck and when I pushed, it sent too much milk out and he started sneezing and spitting it out. I tipped him downwards and a tiny bit came out of his nose. That night he started clicking when he breathed and sneezing more than he did before. But, today, he’s acting fine. Not much clicking except for when he’s moving around a lot, super energetic and active, eating great, etc. The only thing that concerns me now is his sneezing. They’re wet and he does them pretty often. I’m wondering if I should still try to get cipro and start giving him it. If I did, I’d have to get fish flox. I called my local vets the first time he aspirated and they said they won’t give me baytril because they don’t deal with wildlife. I’ve heard fish flox works good though. I could get fish mox if I don’t need as strong of a medicine. I’d need to figure out the dosage and that would be complicated because I think the scale I have is off. Just curious what I need to do, I’ve been worried about him and his sneezing. Any help is appreciated. Sorry if there’s any errors in this, he was climbing all over me while I was typing this

Default Re: Wondering if I need to start my little buddy on medicine or if he’ll be okay.

When you say "milk" do you mean cow's milk or formula?

If formula, what kind of formula?

You need a scale for feeding as well as dosing any medications.

When raising baby squirrels for release, it is always advisable to have Baytril (which is the same drug as Fish Flox and the human drug Cipro).

Fish Mox (amoxicillin) is not as effective on Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) as Baytril and much slower acting.

Does your baby "click" persistently? Sometimes they clock a bit after eating / drinking but then it will go away.

Default Re: Wondering if I need to start my little buddy on medicine or if he’ll be okay.

Yes, if this is aspiration pneumonia you need the "Fish Flox" which is ciprofloxacin. You may want to ask around of your female friends to see if anyone has any Cipro. It is used for urinary tract infections which women are prone to get. One pill would be enough to dose a bunch of squirrels.

It is (basically) the same drug as Baytril - baytril is for animals, cipro for humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    When you say "milk" do you mean cow's milk or formula?

If formula, what kind of formula?

You need a scale for feeding as well as dosing any medications.

When raising baby squirrels for release, it is always advisable to have Baytril (which is the same drug as Fish Flox and the human drug Cipro).

Fish Mox (amoxicillin) is not as effective on Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) as Baytril and much slower acting.

Does your baby "click" persistently? Sometimes they clock a bit after eating / drinking but then it will go away.

Oh sorry I didn’t even think to specify, it’s puppy formula. It’s called “PetAg Milk Replacer Plus” it was recommended to me and I went with as it was all that I could find besides kitten formula and the Esbilac formula which I know is bad. He loves the formula and he’s seemed to do really good with it.
    I bought a scale the second day I had him, but I’m not sure if it is accurate because it is very slow and sometimes it shows a weight when nothing is on the scale. It was expensive too so I’m not sure if I’m not working it right or it’s just faulty. I’ll probably go get another.
    So I could use Fish Flox since it works like Baytril? Do you think I need it? If so, I could go try to get some today, I think there’s some at my local pet store.
    He doesn’t click persistently, just every now and then like when he’s eating or cleaning himself. Other than the little clicks now and then and the sneezing, he seems perfect, healthy, and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Yes, if this is aspiration pneumonia you need the "Fish Flox" which is ciprofloxacin. You may want to ask around of your female friends to see if anyone has any Cipro. It is used for urinary tract infections which women are prone to get. One pill would be enough to dose a bunch of squirrels.

It is (basically) the same drug as Baytril - baytril is for animals, cipro for humans.
    Okay, I’m still trying to figure out if it is pneumonia. I’m a little conflicted on what I should do, because he seems okay besides the sneezing, so I don’t want to like harm him by trying to treat something he doesn’t have. But I also don’t want to not treat it if he has it. In the mean time I’ll call around and see if anyone has Cipro, and if not, I’ll head to the pet store because I think they have Fish Flox. I just have to figure out how to dose it if I do need to use it.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to krys15 from:

Mel1959 (04-06-2020)

If you hold him up to your ear like a phone do you hear any type of clicking noise as he breathes? Someone on here will help you dose any medication you can find.

That formula is not recommended for squirrels. It doesn’t have the necessary nutrients to sustain him. How long have you had him and been feeding that formula?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

krys15 (04-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by krys15 View Post
    Okay, I’m still trying to figure out if it is pneumonia. I’m a little conflicted on what I should do, because he seems okay besides the sneezing, so I don’t want to like harm him by trying to treat something he doesn’t have. But I also don’t want to not treat it if he has it. In the mean time I’ll call around and see if anyone has Cipro, and if not, I’ll head to the pet store because I think they have Fish Flox. I just have to figure out how to dose it if I do need to use it.
    We can help you with dosing if you need it. All we will need is his weight in grams and the size of the pill you get in milligrams. Cipro is available in both 250mg and 500mg sizes. You will need a 1cc syringe to dose it.

We need to get you to switch formulas. Order a bag of this: https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valle...aby-squirrels/ and when it comes in you will need to SLOWLY transition him over to it. The Pet Ag stuff is not a good formula.

While you are at the Henry's site, order some syringes. The O-ring feeding syringes will not stick like the one you have. Until you get them, pull the plunger out amnd rub some vegetable oil on the black rubber part - it will help it slide easier.

Also, it is getting very close to the time you will want to start offering him solid food IN ADDITION to his formula. At the same site, pick up a bag or two of this: https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/ Get either the hazelnut or the picky blocks - or one of each.

Baby squirrels sneeze and sniff a lot. They are sniffing and smelling everything because it is all new and make lots of little mouth noises and pfffts. Normally, aspiration pneumonia shows clicking IN THE CHEST with every breath, lethargy, and appetite disappears.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

krys15 (04-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If you hold him up to your ear like a phone do you hear any type of clicking noise as he breathes? Someone on here will help you dose any medication you can find.

That formula is not recommended for squirrels. It doesn’t have the necessary nutrients to sustain him. How long have you had him and been feeding that formula?
    Not with every single breath but I did hear it a little. He squeals at me eventually so I can’t hear him breathing for very long. Okay I will order a better one and for about four days.

We can help you with dosing if you need it. All we will need is his weight in grams and the size of the pill you get in milligrams. Cipro is available in both 250mg and 500mg sizes. You will need a 1cc syringe to dose it.

We need to get you to switch formulas. Order a bag of this: https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valle...aby-squirrels/ and when it comes in you will need to SLOWLY transition him over to it. The Pet Ag stuff is not a good formula.

While you are at the Henry's site, order some syringes. The O-ring feeding syringes will not stick like the one you have. Until you get them, pull the plunger out amnd rub some vegetable oil on the black rubber part - it will help it slide easier.

Also, it is getting very close to the time you will want to start offering him solid food IN ADDITION to his formula. At the same site, pick up a bag or two of this: https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/ Get either the hazelnut or the picky blocks - or one of each.

Baby squirrels sneeze and sniff a lot. They are sniffing and smelling everything because it is all new and make lots of little mouth noises and pfffts. Normally, aspiration pneumonia shows clicking IN THE CHEST with every breath, lethargy, and appetite disappears.
    Okay thank you. I will order everything right now. He is making a clicking sound now and then but he’s definitely not lethargic and he has a big appetite. So I’m not sure if he has it?

You will love the o-ring syringes, they are so much better. When I was rehabbing, I would have to oil almost every feeding and even then it would stick and then shoot out a lot. It was horrible and very bad for the squirrels. Once I got the o-ring, it was a win win, no more frustration for me and extremely safe for the squirrels. You should get some right away. I also got three different sizes so I always had on hand.

I hope your little one gets better and doesn't get aspirated again. He sounds like he is feeling good which is a good thing.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to spamrestricted from:

krys15 (04-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by krys15 View Post
    Okay thank you. I will order everything right now. He is making a clicking sound now and then but he’s definitely not lethargic and he has a big appetite. So I’m not sure if he has it?
    I am betting that the clicking is coming from his mouth, not his chest. When you hear the A/P clicking, you are hearing air in the lungs that is passing through the accumulated secretions (mucous) in the lungs - that is what makes the noise. It happens with every breath.

That said, I think everyone who is handfeeding a baby squirrel should have a Cipro pill on hand just in case.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

krys15 (04-06-2020), stepnstone (04-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by spamrestricted View Post
    You will love the o-ring syringes, they are so much better. When I was rehabbing, I would have to oil almost every feeding and even then it would stick and then shoot out a lot. It was horrible and very bad for the squirrels. Once I got the o-ring, it was a win win, no more frustration for me and extremely safe for the squirrels. You should get some right away. I also got three different sizes so I always had on hand.

I hope your little one gets better and doesn't get aspirated again. He sounds like he is feeling good which is a good thing.
    Yes they are very frustrating I’m looking forward to the new syringes! Thank you so much!

I am betting that the clicking is coming from his mouth, not his chest. When you hear the A/P clicking, you are hearing air in the lungs that is passing through the accumulated secretions (mucous) in the lungs - that is what makes the noise. It happens with every breath.

That said, I think everyone who is handfeeding a baby squirrel should have a Cipro pill on hand just in case.
    Okay! I’ll go ahead and get some just in case he ever aspirates again, fingers crossed that doesn’t happen. Once these new syringes and formula arrive we’ll be in great shape. Thank you so much for your help!