Thread: My Eastern Gray is struggling! Please help!

Lucky's Momma Guest

Default My Eastern Gray is struggling! Please help!

I have a 3 year old Eastern Gray. When I went to put him to bed in his cage tonight, I noticed that he was squeaking and growling continuously in the bottom of his cage. I first assumed that he hurt himself; perhaps caught a toe in his cage wire or something, but after getting him out to examine him closer, I have come to the conclusion that he may have something majorly wrong with his bladder or urethra. He keeps straining to pee but nothing is coming out. He squeaks and cries and won’t stop licking himself. He keeps walking around hunching his back and trying to pee. I am so worried that if he can’t urninate, that his bladder may rupture or he could die from the stress that he’s exhibiting. PLEASE HELP! I’ve called his Wildlife Vet but no one is calling me back. Is there anything that I can do at home to help him tonight until I can get him to his vet tomorrow?

Default Re: My Eastern Gray is struggling! Please help!

Oh no, I hope someone sees this who can help. Meantime while you're here have you checked any of the other threads for info on these symptoms? Hang in there, Someone will be here soon.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

RockyPops (04-07-2020)

Still hoping someone who can help will come aboard. I'm no expert, but I think even though he's very uncomfortable he will not rupture before you can see the vet, basing that on following a squirrel who keeps having issues.

Has anything in his diet changed recently? Any changes at all you can think of? Has he ever had even a slight problem with this in the past?

Does he seem bloated or distended at all, like his bladder is full? Will he let you examine him?

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

RockyPops (04-07-2020)

How’s Lucky doing this morning? I’m sorry no one was able to help you last night.

I believe there is information on this forum about how to express a bladder, I hope you were able to find it. I also think there are some you tube videos for it.

I hope you are able to have Lucky seen by his vet today. If not and you still need assistance someone on here can help with dosing an antibiotic and maybe walk you through the procedure to express a bladder.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (04-06-2020), RockyPops (04-06-2020)

When you get a moment, could you let us know how things are going?

Thanks,

Jamie

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TomahawkFlyers from:

RockyPops (04-07-2020)

Dont know where you live . If it's in sc. I may have some antibiotics. The ones on hand r amoxicillian and clindimyicin. You would have to ask an expert about those and have his weight ready so they can calculate. If u live in sc. My vet is awesome with squirrels and doesnt care if you arent a rehabber.. ( for now till the law passes). Private message me if you think I can be of gelp.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Ozzy2019:

RockyPops (04-07-2020), stepnstone (04-07-2020)

Theres a video stickied here on expelling the bladder. Since yours had been doin this on its own submerging his lower half in warmish water as you do whats in the video may help him ease up any internal muscles.

Have you checked his penis to make sure he hasnt been chewing it or has some other kind of obvious blockage?

Use google and find out what to give him for a UTI or bladder infection. If you have dogs or a cat you can call your vet and just ask them to call it in, unless it's a med not usually given to dogs. In that case you have to go with the closest human equivalent, call your PCP and tell them it's for your dog and you can't afford the dog version and you'd appreciate if they'd write it for you. Or say you cant get through to the vet due to covid. Personally I've never had a problem with my doc writing scripts for my pets in my name, including my dog's xanax.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.